Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Download Speed Cut

killah
Aspirant

Download Speed Cut

So I just bought the NETGEAR Nighthawk 7000. Set it up to my modem in router mode. It's fine. But I noticed a decrease in download speed. Before, when I was connected directly to the modem, I get 130/MBPS but now I get a solid 94/MBPS. I have a Rogers AC Modem. Help?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: Download Speed Cut

@killah wrote:

WAN PORT STATUS: 1000M/Full LAN 1-3: Link Down LAN 4: 100M/Full

I have my computer wired to the router

OK, there is your answer. The computer is connected to LAN 4, and the MAX. you can get is 100Mbps. 94Mbps is quite reasonable. The cable from the router to the PC is full 1GB capable. The cable from the PC to the router is not, probably CAT5, not CAT6, or it could be damaged.

If you don't have another cable, try connecting the cable in the PC to the modem, should get about the same speeds if it is the cable. It possibly could be the router port too. Change the cable to another port and see what ths statistics show. Same 100M, it is the cable. Using the cable from the modem to router where the PC cable is now should show 1000M also to prove it is the present PC cable.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Have you enabled QoS? If so, disable it.

Message 2 of 11
killah
Aspirant

I did but no good. The router is on the latest firmware "V1.0.5.64_1.1.88".  The upload speed remains the same. If you're wondering, I went to QoS setup and disabled the two following options:  Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (2.4GHz b/g/n),Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings (5GHz a/n). 

Message 3 of 11
IrvSp
Master

WMM should be on...

Message 4 of 11
killah
Aspirant

Even with it on, I'm still getting 94/MBPS.  And also, is that not how you disable QoS?

Message 5 of 11
IrvSp
Master

@killah wrote:

Even with it on, I'm still getting 94/MBPS.  And also, is that not how you disable QoS?

Genie via a browser, ADVANCED --> SETUP --> QoS, and on BOTH QoS tabs (up and down) UNCHECK enable.

Message 6 of 11
killah
Aspirant

I've done it, but no good 😞

Message 7 of 11
IrvSp
Master

Open Genie in a browser and select the ADVANCED tab. On the Internet Port box select STATISTICS. What is the WAN Port Status? What is the 4 LAN Port Status showing (only ones connected will have a value, those not connected will show Link Down). I am assuming you are using hard wired vs. wireless.

Message 8 of 11
killah
Aspirant

Message 9 of 11
IrvSp
Master

@killah wrote:

OK, there is your answer. The computer is connected to LAN 4, and the MAX. you can get is 100Mbps. 94Mbps is quite reasonable. The cable from the router to the PC is full 1GB capable. The cable from the PC to the router is not, probably CAT5, not CAT6, or it could be damaged.

If you don't have another cable, try connecting the cable in the PC to the modem, should get about the same speeds if it is the cable. It possibly could be the router port too. Change the cable to another port and see what ths statistics show. Same 100M, it is the cable. Using the cable from the modem to router where the PC cable is now should show 1000M also to prove it is the present PC cable.

Message 10 of 11
killah
Aspirant

Thanks! I replaced the cable with a CAT5 cable my ISP provider gave me and now I am getting 130/MBPS. Now I must be carful in what cable I choose.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7