Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Downloading a big file via Wi-Fi reboot the R6700v3

berkc
Aspirant

Downloading a big file via Wi-Fi reboot the R6700v3

Hi, I am using R6700v3 for 1 year. I started to face a problem one month ago. I have a spectrum box and R6700v3. I did not want to use Spectrum's wifi router so I bought a Netgear product.

The problem is that all devices(watches, cameras, phones, etc.) in my house are connected to the network. Internet and wifi work without any problem. However, when I started to download something on my desktop computer such as updates, files, etc, it downloads a little bit then, Netgear R6700v3 restarts. P.S: I was using Wi-Fi connection all the time since I bought the device. The problem occurs whenever I try to download something big (over 1GB or so).

I spent hours/days to fix this issue.

1) Power cycle everything.

2) Changed ports.

3) Disconnected all devices to figure out which device cause the problem.

4) Call Spectrum and try to find the problem on their side (it is not their side because the spectrum box has always the internet).

5) Set the R6700v3 as Access Point.

6) Downgrade/Upgrade firmware.

7) Factory reset several times.

😎 Changed cables.

Nothing worked!!!

Now, I connected my PC to the R6700v3 via an ethernet cable and tried to download something which causes trouble. IT DID NOT REBOOT. I also tried to download the same thing via Wi-Fi connection, the problem occurred again. So, the ethernet cable solution worked. However, I don't want to connect an ethernet cable across to hallway to connect to the internet. What can cause this wifi-reboot problem?

Firmware version is V1.0.4.106_10.0.80. I did not change any default settings other than the wifi password.

Thanks.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
antinode
Guru

Re: Downloading a big file via Wi-Fi reboot the R6700v3

> [...] What can cause this wifi-reboot problem?

I know nothing, and I wouldn't guess at the probabilities, but if
exactly one wireless device out of many has (or causes, or triggers) a
problem, then I'd worry about that one device.  Conceivably, its
wireless stuff (hardware, device driver) could do something untoward,
and cause the router to explode.  If this were true, then one could
argue that the router should be more robust, but, failing that, I'd
scout around for a newer/different device driver for the wireless stuff
in the computer.

> 6) Downgrade/Upgrade firmware.

Someone (not I) might care about the actual (older) version numbers.

Find an attractive USB-connected (or some-other-connected) wireless
adapter to use instead of whatever you're using now in/with that
computer, and try that?

Message 2 of 3
berkc
Aspirant

Re: Downloading a big file via Wi-Fi reboot the R6700v3

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I could not find my USB wifi dongle but the problem occurred in a very interesting way. I am using Iphone X and while I was trying to download the updates, my internet connection went off. It happened twice therefore, I am sure the wifi connection caused the problem. I also tested something different. Since I have an ethernet connection to the same router, I turned my PC into a mobile hotspot and connected my phone to my computer. So, my phone is indirectly connected to the network. However, when I try to download updates, there is not any problem occurs. So, I believe the problem is in the router's wifi connection. There is not a problem with the ethernet connection and indirect wifi connections such as hotspots etc.

The firmware version is 1.0.4.106. It is the latest one. I tested 1.0.4.102 and the factory default one which I don't remember now.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7