Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Dropping HP WIFI printers with R6400

brian6j
Aspirant

Dropping HP WIFI printers with R6400

Both my HP printers (HP cp1525nw and M277dw, both with updated firmware for sometime) drop off my r6400 network, firmware V1.0.1.52_1.0.36 . Have assigned static IPs and updated R6400 firmware , does not help. The nighhawk app cannot see them or my iphones when the drop occurs. Routerlogin.net shows their mac id, but IP address as blank. Rebooting the modem works and they both magically re-appear, but this is getting old. Both printers drop off randomly with no rhyme or reason and no device changes during that time. Cannot disable sleep mode on HP printers. Disabled IPV 6 etc to no avail. Switched channel to no effect either. Speed on 2.4Ghz is good at 40 Mbps and only have a few devices on the 2.4 Ghz channel (HP printers do not support 5 Ghz). No other devices are dropping just the HP printers. Doesn't appear to be interference. Problem is getting more frequent. Any suggestions ?. 

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
brian6j
Aspirant

Okay this works:

1) Update the firmware on the printer, the printer itself did not detect new one, I had to force/do it from Hp web-site. There was one from Dec 2019. Then factory reset the printer from its menu, restart it,
2) Update firmware on router, reboot,
3) Delete the printer from the computer and restart computer, modem and router.
4) Download the latest HP drivers, note that the generic Windows 10 ones don’t seem to keep the printer on the Network and don’t seem to assign the printer correctly, don’t use them.
5) Reconnect the printer to the network using the HP software to detect it.
6) Reboot everything again.

Suspect something is wrong with the generic drivers from Microsoft or from one of their updates.

Happy days, spent way too much time on this.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Have you tried doing a reset of the printers and setting them up again? Sometimes this helps. There was a similar post a few days ago where this worked, though the guy's connection to his printer was wired

Message 2 of 4
brian6j
Aspirant

Thank you. I did find an error state on the M277, so I did a factory reset on that printer alone on the printers menu itself, then deleted/reinstalled software. Will keep you posted if either printer drops now.
Message 3 of 4
brian6j
Aspirant

Okay this works:

1) Update the firmware on the printer, the printer itself did not detect new one, I had to force/do it from Hp web-site. There was one from Dec 2019. Then factory reset the printer from its menu, restart it,
2) Update firmware on router, reboot,
3) Delete the printer from the computer and restart computer, modem and router.
4) Download the latest HP drivers, note that the generic Windows 10 ones don’t seem to keep the printer on the Network and don’t seem to assign the printer correctly, don’t use them.
5) Reconnect the printer to the network using the HP software to detect it.
6) Reboot everything again.

Suspect something is wrong with the generic drivers from Microsoft or from one of their updates.

Happy days, spent way too much time on this.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7