Guide

Dropping internet daily

My firmware is up to date, and according to my provider there is no noise on the line of my cable modem and there has been no drops of service. But I lose my internet access and have to reset my router almost daily. My cable moden is only a year old and is a Aris TM02DAFS02. I have to only reset the router NOT the modem to restore access. If the firmware is up to date. Could it be some bizare setting.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 25
Guru

Re: Dropping internet daily

I couldn't find an arris modem with that model number. 

When it comes to the routers, the latest firmware, isn't always the greatest. 

Which version are you on? 

I'd recommend version 1.4.1.42. you can try installing that firmware, reset the router, and then reinstall it. I'd disable auto updates and then see how it works. 

When did you start having issues?

Is it just the wireless, the wired, or both?  

CM2000-> Arris AX11000 W31-> GS716v2-> WAX***-AP
Message 2 of 25
Guide

I am using 1.0.4.56_10.1.71
Seems after the last firmware update
Message 3 of 25
Guide

When I started having problems, I updated to the latest firmware, which didn't make a difference. Presently I have 1.0.4.56.10.171.  I lose intenet access on both wirless and wired. If you recoemmend going BACK to an older version. Where would I get it, as all they have are the last two on the website. Plus will it allow me to use an older version? Where do I go from here?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 25
Guru

> Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router

> Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router

> [...] I have 1.0.4.56.10.171. [...]

So, apparently it's an R8000.

> [...] Where would I get it, as all they have are the last two on the
> website. [...]

"all they have" and "all I found" are spelled differently for a
reason.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and
Software Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the
kit(s).  Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file
for instructions.  (In the User Manual, look for "firmware", and,
especially, for a topic like "Manually Upload Firmware to the Router".)

> [...] will it allow me to use an older version? [...]

I can think of one reliable way to find out.

Message 5 of 25
Guide

Looked all through the older firmware files on their website, the closest I can find is 1.0.4.28. Should I try that one?

Message 6 of 25
Guru

> I'd recommend version 1.4.1.42. [...]

That's firmware for an R8000P (as first posting claimed).  The
firmware versions for an R8000 are different.

> [...] Should I try that one?

You might start working backward from what you have now.

Message 7 of 25
Guide

Actully they have a new beta version update, I'm trying today and see how it does. Maybe they've worked the bugs out. If not I'll work my way back per your suggetion. As when we are on vacation I hate to see my router go down and no one home to reset it. Maybe I should have stuck with my old standby the Linksys brand. I never had these problems with them. But The Nighthawk come through as a number one rating. Now I'm beginning to wonder.

Message 8 of 25
Guide

Ok I give up, what next!!! Loaded the latest and greatest firmware, ver V1.0.4.56_10.1.71 and I lost internet from my plugged in dsesktop computer and all my wifi divices AGAIN!!! Yet all the lights were lit on the router indicating everything was fine. NOT!!!! Had the router over the warrentee period, so tech support from Netgear would cost me money, and not ever suer they can help. According to my service provider (Cox) it's not an issue from them, plus I don't have to reset my cable modem, which is an Arris model TM3402A so it has to be the router dropping the internet. I'm about ready to toss this thing and go with my old standby brand and get a Linksys router, but they are rated below Netgear, so I really am not sure what to do. Any help would be appractiated. It was suggested I back down to an older version of the firmware, ok which one? The one suggested was not listed in the older versions.

Message 9 of 25
Guru

The "latest and greatest" isn't always. The R8000 received the netgear armor "upgrade" which wasn't much of an upgrade for many devices.
Try firmware version 1.0.4.28
install it over a hardwired connection and factory reset it afterwards. I'd recommend setting it up manually to prevent an old setting from causing an issue.
Message 10 of 25
Guru

And the reason the version I listed prior wasn't on your list was you'd put the R8000P and not the R8000 that you have.
Message 11 of 25
Guide

So any thoughts of improving this thing before I buy something else?
Message 12 of 25
Guide

So I am trying downgradning the firmware from 1.0.4.56_10.1.71 to 1.0.4.28_10.1.54. I hope this may keep it from dropping internet connection. Resarched Netgear and Linksys, it seems people on Amazon who buy either brand are having probelms with all of them, can;t seem to find a good replacment.

Message 13 of 25
Guide

So far so good............. over 24 hours and still up and running. Hopefully this firmware will be a winner

Message 14 of 25
Guide

Had one drop of internet, but think it was my cox servce went down, so am still testing this router. Been reading the reviews on the R800P as compared to the R8000. Might be worth the investment. Anyone have a R8000P? and how do you like it?

Message 15 of 25
Guide

Well, we're still up, with no drops. Still think it's sad you can't depend on the "latest" firmware to work and be dependable. You'd think the company would monitor the forumand  hear about these probelms and make a corrective effort so we could stay up to date. But I guess if it's still working, I guess I shouldn't complain. Thanks to everyone who made commets and suggetions.

Message 16 of 25
Guru

I'd have to agree a bit with this. The other issue was netgear armor getting added. It caused issues across multiple product lines. the main problem though was not all devices had issues with it. Its easy enough to pinpoint a problem if every device has an issue but when its only a certain percentage, its harder to find exactly whats causing the issue. 

Message 17 of 25
Guide

For me I don't think Netgear Armor took my internet down, if anything, it has saved my system from attacks. There werer several cases where either a virus or malware tried to get into my system and it was prevented. But I am willing to uninstall it and use some other protection you recomend, as I beleive we need something to protect our systems from attack. I had my information hacked on my systme and they got my banking info and hacked my Amazon accouint, so I need something.

Message 18 of 25
Guru

I'm not saying use a different system. I was just pointing out that some of netgears routers didn't perform well when armor was added as it put a burden on the cpu on that system. There's a been a few routers that the earlier version of the router couldn't run armor but the newer versions could (see R6400--v1/v2/v3)

Message 19 of 25
Guide

Not sure if I should update, as I was notified that there is a new firmware update but I’m using a few generations down, and it’s working fine, yet I like having the latest especially due to security issues. Any suggestions?
Message 20 of 25
Guru

Suggestions? 

Make a backup of your current configuration. write down which version of the firmware you're on.

then try the update. If it has issues, try factory resetting and reinstalling. If it still doesn't work, downgrade and reinstall your backup configuration. 

Message 21 of 25
Guide

So I "tried' the latest greatest firmwar.e update, still drops internet daily. Wenty back to the recoomended 1.0.4.28 version Going to stick with it untl I hear the "latest" update is stable. 

Message 22 of 25
Guide

The only thing I notice with 1.0.4.28 is that I loose my 5g networks. Any reason why?

Message 23 of 25
Guide

Since I’m loosing my 5G networks, I’m going to try the latest firmware again. I sure hope this one is stable. Will let you know......
Message 24 of 25
Aspirant

Model: R6400v2

Firmware: 1.0.4.106

My WiFi quits 2 or 3 times / day.  I had to unplug the system & reboot 2x by 12 noon today.  works fine for a couple hours then can't connect to stories on Google News or Email comments, etc.  I have laptop hardwired to Router but it still gets "can not connect to that page / site.  It is crazy when you can't even download a recipe from a cooking site.   BIZARRE !!!

Should I junk this router & get another one ???

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements