Re: Drops/Sleeps/Lags

M635_Guy
Aspirant

Drops/Sleeps/Lags

I got a NetGear R7000 year or so ago, and until recently it has been OK. Lately my kids have been complaining about lagging (the xBox is wired through the walls directly to the router) and the WiFi keeps dropping out. I power on/power off the router and things will work - sometimes it takes more than one try.

Over the last several days the router will appear to be off or in a very low power mode and there is no connectivity.

I'm not sure where the logs live or how to access them - didn't see anything jumping out at me on the web control panel.

I believe I'm at the latest firmware (V1.0.3.68_1.1.31) and I don't think I've turned on anything exotic. The up/down is driving me and my family crazy

I'll was going to call support, but my Ooma phone runs through the router... Smiley Tongue Figured I'd try here first...
Message 1 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Try a factory default reset.
Message 2 of 19
M635_Guy
Aspirant

I have tried a factory reset before, ran through the setup and things have been fine. For a while, and in increasingly short periods of time.

I did another one today. The router will not allow me to go through the setup wizard (loses connection at the start of the connection type - either manual or auto-detect).

I called Netgear support. She had me disconnect from the modem and had me ping the router. For that, it performed flawlessly. They wanted me to pay to extensively and manually configure the router. I can't see doing that if I can't successfully complete the setup after a factory reset.

It also just powered itself off - again. The last time it did that it lost all SSID setup information and reverted to default.

The support rep seemed to think this was software/settings - I don't see how that is possible when a factory reset has just been done I can't progress through the setup wizard following a factory reset.

I've got a LOT of Netgear hardware in my house (this NightHawk, a ReadyNAS, a couple of switches, etc.) and this is really frustrating me.
Message 3 of 19
M635_Guy
Aspirant

Still trying to work through, and even at the factory defaults (since I'm unable to get through the setup wizard) it is dropping constantly and my intermittently PC's keep seeing it as a new network (have to re-enter the password on the back of the router).

Is it possible this is a software thing? I'm getting ready to buy a new (probably non-Netggear) one at this rate...
Message 4 of 19
M635_Guy
Aspirant

Evening update. Still dropping connections frequently. Walked back to the wiring closet and all the lights were dim and flickering quickly...
Message 5 of 19
M635_Guy
Aspirant

Anyone? If this is a hardware thing (which given the random drops, random power-off, blinking, forgetting configuration), I'd like to push them to replace the router. They seem to think the mere fact that I can ping it and get a response means everything on the hardware side is working OK - that doesn't seem logical to me...
Message 6 of 19
RogerSC
Virtuoso

From the list of problems in your postings, I'd go the RMA route. Especially since you've tried to factory reset, and then manually re-enter your settings...that's the best you can do to normalize things. If you're close to factory defaults and are having all these problems, I think that you should insist on an RMA.

My R7000 has been much less problematic than yours, I just flash it, press the reset button until the power light flashes, then re-enter my settings and I'm good to go. No reboots, no loss of configuration, no random connection drops, just no problems, especially with the latest firmware.

Sounds like you have a bad unit to me.
Message 7 of 19
M635_Guy
Aspirant

Yeah - the challenge is I'm outside of the 90-days and the support team is trying to sell me their service. Arg.
Message 8 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have a case number?

Did you try Email support? At least while a product is under warranty you should be able to contact support via the email support I think which support should have suggested as an option.
Message 9 of 19
M635_Guy
Aspirant

I do have a case number. I called back this afternoon and got a much more helpful tech. She didn't try the hard-sell on the support, walked me through re-installing the firmware and said if things were still bad tomorrow they'd send me a new one. The thing has managed to get through configuration, but is still constantly dropping wireless and having interrupted wired connectivity. The last drop was from a complete power-off of the device. Smiley Sad I'm pretty sure this is going to be a swap, which is fine by me if it works.
Message 10 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad to hear that you've made some further progress with support. Feel free to PM me your case number if you like. Also if you ever need help with your ReadyNAS I'm very active on the ReadyNAS forums.
Message 11 of 19
M635_Guy
Aspirant

I shut the modem down all the way, and then brought the router up. Things have been stable since after a night of drops, etc. Holding my breath...
Message 12 of 19
M635_Guy
Aspirant

Oh well - the hope was short-lived. The router was completely off when I woke up this morning, and has been flaky since I powered off and restarted everything. Smiley Sad
Message 13 of 19
Shadowlore
Guide

(forgive me if support already went down this list with you... but if you made it to tier 1 only, I suspect you didn't get into any meat of the network setup... and this explores some other possible options if you're not wanting to immediately go the route of an RMA)

Out of curiosity... you said the lights were flickers really fast the other day, and the device seems to work at times... does it continue to work for long periods of time?

Also, you mentioned that you had a few devices.. and the wireless keeps dropping. Do you know if you are running any P2P programs on any device?

Finally, have you checked all your devices for malware recently? (a client had one of their workstations infected with a mass mailing worm a few weeks ago, and as long as they had an internet connection, that thing was DoSing themselves off their network, simply by the amount of connections is was establishing)
~ Shadowlore
Message 14 of 19
M635_Guy
Aspirant

Shadowlore, Thanks very much for reaching out. The router did stay connected for a while after I shut the modem and router down and then powered them up individually (modem first). It didn't last more than an hour, and overnight the system totally powered itself off again. Watching the connectivity activity from my wife's Mac, even the ethernet is constant dropping. I have a lot of devices, but since I was having some work done at the house I'd disconnected everything and hadn't attached the NAS, etc. when the problems got worse. At this point the xBox, the iMac and the Roku are attached via wired and there are a few wireless devices: phones, an Android tablet and a couple of other PC's. If I wasn't showing the same behavior on all of them I'd wonder if it wasn't something other than the router itself. The NetGear guys agreed to replace it, which I'm very grateful for - this forum has been really useful as well! Thanks!!
Message 15 of 19
M635_Guy
Aspirant

Update - the new one is doing the exact same thing Smiley Sad :eek::
- Wireless drops constantly. I've set up standard and 5GHz wireless networks. Pretty standard settings.
- Router sometimes powers itself off entirely (dark). Sometimes the lights are on (amber to the right, rest are white) but all of them are very, very faint. Today I saw them faint but flickering repeatedly. I took a quick video of it: http://youtu.be/pvUwHk3IP6c

Since the support folks made such a big deal of not setting it up via wireless (even if that is the first thing discussed/offered in the Setup Guide and User Manual... :madSmiley Happy, I performed the setup connected via Ethernet from my wife's Mac.

I've checked the outlets with a tester. They're fine. I've even changed outlets. I've checked with my cable provider: They've said my modem is supported assessed the router and found it (and the logs) to be entirely normal. The "system uptime" value is consistent with the last time I powered it up - no interruptions. It doesn't seem like the modem should be able to put the router to sleep anyway.

I still haven't set up anything like the VOIP box or my NAS. I've got the FireTV, Roku3, the xBox360 and the iMac all connected via the ethernet switch. Wireless devices are two or three PC's (but rarely more than a couple) and several phones. One phone and two of the PC's are 802.11 AC.

I'm almost wondering if the AC adapter is bad (the replacement unit was just the box and the antennae. My family is wondering if there is some sort of device and/or virus (they're accusing my notebook... Smiley Tongue) of causing it. I've never heard of anything that can do that upstream to a router. I could see messing with the wireless, but can't see these seemly power-related things. It is almost like it is rebooting and/or being put into a low-power/sleep mode.

The original Netgear support person was pushing hard for a paid configuration session. I'd be tempted to do that at this point if someone can say the types of issues I'm seeing are possibly caused by configuration. I'm not doing anything complicated at this point - pretty vanilla setup (config wizard) and fairly minimal devices attached so far. I'm dreading the NAS and the Ooma...

Thoughts? Anything else I can try? Should I give the configuration service a go?

Thanks in advance!
Message 16 of 19
M635_Guy
Aspirant

By the way, the only thing that changed around the time all of this became a problem was the Amazon FireTV was installed (connected via ethernet). It did seem to coincide with more lagging, etc. I assumed I hadn't set the QoS settings, but we had to disassemble everything to clear the way for the guys who were doing our floors. I did set up the QoS during the setup after the firmware flash/factory reset and the later setups as well.
Message 17 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

See e.g. http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24329 The power LED should only be amber when the router is starting. Or does it change (not shown on the video) so that the power LED does get to solid white ? If the power LED remains amber It could be a hardware problem, perhaps less likely corrupt firmware on the flash in the router. I guess it is possible the AC adapter could be faulty. Have you tried connecting your Nighthawk to power via a UPS?
Message 18 of 19
M635_Guy
Aspirant

The router will either reboot, power off or go to the low power or blinky lights. Once it reaches any of the last three states there is no change. I have to power it off and turn it back on. I don't have a UPS, but I'll probably be getting one. I still haven't set my NAS back up, but it is a good thing to have. Figuring out which one would be best.
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E