Dual router system using two R7800's, with FIOS. Possible?

JamesButler
Follower

Dual router system using two R7800's, with FIOS. Possible?

Hello, my goal is to cut the Comcast cable cord and replace cable tv by streaming live IPTV and Kodi add-ons through my Amazon Fire TV box and/or Nvidia Shield.  I plan to use a dual-router system.  One router would be used as the primary internet router, and the 2nd router would be used as an OpenVPN router to stream tv.  Since Verizon FIOS provides the strongest internet in my area, I intend to dump Comcast altogether and use Verizon as my Internet Service Provider.  Verizon uses the Quantum Gateway 1100 router/modem with its internet service.  While I intend to use a Netgear R7800 as the 2nd OpenVPN flashed router, is it possible to replace the Verizon Quantum Gateway 1100 with a Netgear R7800 as the primary router?  Therefore, I'd be running two Netgear R7800 routers in the proposed dual-router system.  Not sure if there Is any benefit to replacing the Quantum Gateay 1100 with the Netgear R7800 as an internet-only router, or is it unnecessary?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 2
netwrks
Master

Re: Dual router system using two R7800's, with FIOS. Possible?

The R Series NG routers, do not have an internal modem. You will need the Quantum Gateway, as it has an internal modem. Best case, perhaps you can put the Quantum Gateway into bridge mode. Not sure if your VPN solution will work, but perhaps, others will chine in... 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E