Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Dynamic QoS and Parental Controls - massively impact on download speed. Slow downloads. OpenDNS

werdnap
Follower

Dynamic QoS and Parental Controls - massively impact on download speed. Slow downloads. OpenDNS

I have just installed the R8000 into my home network. I'm using Virgin's VIVID200 service (in the UK) which consistently gives me a download speed of c 210Mbs.

I've spent most of the day testing the features of the device. I noticed my download speeds reduced by about 40% whenever I enabled QoS or The Disney Circle parental controls. I didn't attempt to run with both enabled. I expected some deterioration in throughput but not that much. I'm not looking for a solution to this point, it's for information only.

On a related note, there is no guidance about how to configure the OpenDNS feature. Turns out you have to use Netgear Genie. Not supported by Nighthawk!!

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
earthsound
Star

Re: Dynamic QoS and Parental Controls - massively impact on download speed. Slow downloads. OpenDNS

@werdnap wrote:

On a related note, there is no guidance about how to configure the OpenDNS feature. Turns out you have to use Netgear Genie. Not supported by Nighthawk!!

While you can configure some OpenDNS settings (time blocking, site blocking, bypass account, etc.) directly on the https://netgear.opendns.com website, you'll need to install (on an Android device) the older 3.1.74 version of the Genie app to configure Access Control per attached device (really where the parental controls shine). 

Disable automatic updates on your Android device - at least until Netgear fixes the Genie app to support all the devices they just recently (IMO erroneously) dropped "support" for. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
myersw
Master

Yup, QoS has a massive hit on throught put. If your ISP connection is 300Mbps or more no need. for QoS. In any case turn QoS off and see if there are issues. All kinds of disney circle reported issues like if the router is rebooted it has to be reactivated, so smart kids can easily defeat.

Message 2 of 4
JoseAndres041
Luminary

Every packets would be checked and that's why the speed decreased.

Message 3 of 4
earthsound
Star

@werdnap wrote:

While you can configure some OpenDNS settings (time blocking, site blocking, bypass account, etc.) directly on the https://netgear.opendns.com website, you'll need to install (on an Android device) the older 3.1.74 version of the Genie app to configure Access Control per attached device (really where the parental controls shine). 

Disable automatic updates on your Android device - at least until Netgear fixes the Genie app to support all the devices they just recently (IMO erroneously) dropped "support" for. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7