× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EAX20 - Connect Extender to Multiple Routers

arunnoronha
Follower

EAX20 - Connect Extender to Multiple Routers

With the onset of Work From Home (WFH), there is a huge need to have a backup for your main routers. I have 2 routers at home, one is a Netgear Nighthawk that uses a fiber optic connection and the other one is a sim-based 4G Dongle.

Is it possible to extend both these routers using one extender - to behave like an auto failover mechnism??

If one of the router is down, it should automatically switch over to the next available router.  

Message 1 of 3

Re: EAX20 - Connect Extender to Multiple Routers

@arunnoronha wrote:

Is it possible to extend both these routers using one extender - to behave like an auto failover mechnism??

If one of the router is down, it should automatically switch over to the next available router.  

Unlikely, but questions about extenders might be best tried in the section given over to extenders. This one is for Nighthawk WiFi Routers.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: EAX20 - Connect Extender to Multiple Routers

No, there's not a way to set that up. 

It'd be ideal but there isn't that function. 

What might be a better option for you is a failover/load balancing router. 

You'd connect your 2 ISP setups to that and then connect the router to it. then the router would always have service. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7