× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7000-1AZNAS Causes slow network when connected wired

NikolasT
Aspirant

EX7000-1AZNAS Causes slow network when connected wired

I purchased an EX7000-1AZNAS on recomendation from Netgear prepurchase support. I wanted a WIFI device to give me a stornger WIFI signal in a distant area of my house and still have the same SSID. I have CAT 5 wiring in the house and it is connected to the router via a single gigabit Netgear POE switch that is used for other wired divices in the house. I had several problems getting the device to connect and brodcast the same SSID but I did get through them. If I have this range extender plugged into my wired network which presales support tells me should work my network speed for anything is only about 7 to 10 MBs, if I disconect the ethernet and I am in range of my router I get 800 MBs on my laptop and 750 MBs from my phone (Samsung Galaxy S21U) transfering a 500 MB .pdf file. If extender is connected to my network wired my internet is only 2 to 4 MBs if i connect to my router i get close to 180 MBs on a 200 MBs connection. If i connect to the extender and do the same test  with the extender connected to the router wirelessly I only get 50 MBs transfer of the the pdf and 20 MBs internet. 

I have updated the firmware per Netgears recomendations and and did all setting and configuration setting as told per Netgear support. This is not working out to what I expected and would like some adivce on how to fix this system

Model: EX7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Access Point
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7000-1AZNAS Causes slow network when connected wired

When you're going through setup, it asks you if you want to setup as a wireless extender or access point. 

You choose which mode to set it up in. but if its harwired in, it needs to be in access point or it can cause the issues you're running into. 

there is a setup wizard you can re-run if you log into the extender via the browser. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

what router do you have? 

do you have the extender setup in access point mode? If its hardwired into the router, it should be ran in access point mode and not extener mode. 

Message 2 of 4
NikolasT
Aspirant

Do I have to reset the extender to set it as WAP? I was under the impression from what I read from the instruction manual when I downloaded it that as access point is what I wanted to get the same SSID broadcast and password, is that not correct?

Thanks in advance for your help

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

When you're going through setup, it asks you if you want to setup as a wireless extender or access point. 

You choose which mode to set it up in. but if its harwired in, it needs to be in access point or it can cause the issues you're running into. 

there is a setup wizard you can re-run if you log into the extender via the browser. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7