Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX7700 and R700 are incompatible and Netgear support is unresponsive

mmschumac
Tutor

EX7700 and R700 are incompatible and Netgear support is unresponsive

I'm a network engineer in my professional life with extensive experience in wireless technologies.  I've overall been very pleased with the R7000 router over the last few years but the EX7700 is a poor product that is totally incompatible with the R7000.  I've stumbled across multiple threads detailing the same issues (which I would've seen before purchasing this product)

I opened a case on the issues with the EX7700 8 days ago and Netgear has not supplied a single response to the ticket.  I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get Netgear support engaged so I can get my money back.  Based on this experience, this may be my last Netgear purchase.

Case notes below

I've been running my home network on a Netgear R700 since September 2020 with great results. No issues around wireless, ethernet, or any piece of my home network. I installed an EX7700 yesterday. Initial install was smooth and I was able to connect to all of my wireless channels (2.4 + 5GhZ) without issue. About an hour later, I lost both of my wireless channels when connected to BOTH the extender AND the router. I rebooted the EX7700 and R700 and service was restored. About an hour later, I once again exhibited the same loss of service issues. At this point I performed a variety of troubleshooting steps to attempt to diagnose / fix this behavior. 1. Moved the EX7700 to different locations throughout my house. - NO CHANGE IN BEHAVIOR 2. Upgraded firmware on BOTH the EX7700 and R700 - NO CHANGE IN BEHAVIOR 3. Factory restored the EX7700 and reran the installation - NO CHANGE IN BEHAVIOR 4. Shrinked the DHCP scope on the R700, statically assigned an IP outside of said DHCP scope to the EX7700 - NO CHANGE IN BEHAVIOR 5. Configured the EX7700 to use SSIDs that are unique from my those advertised by my R700 - NO CHANGE IN BEHAVIOR. No matter what combination of configuration I've tried, I've continually experienced the same behavior related to loss of service. Based on my experiences as well those found in NetGear community forums, this appears to be a systemic incompatibility. https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/EX7700-connection-problems/td-p/1770... Is there any other steps that I can look to try to get this stable and operational? If not, I will want to begin the return process so I can begin looking at alternative extenders that are compatible with my existing router. Suggestions would be welcome.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: EX7700 and R700 are incompatible and Netgear support is unresponsive

what firmware is on the r7000?

What version are you on with the EX7700?

I've heard some poor reports on the latest firmware on the ex7700. Have you tried downgrading a verison (Or 2) on the ex7700?

are you setting up using the installation assistant or wps?

Message 2 of 8
mmschumac
Tutor

I'm currently running the most recent firmware on both the R700 and EX7700.  These were both updated after the initial issues with the stability of the system.

I'm happy to attempt different firmware but need Netgear to supply a stable version #.  Also, I'd like Netgear to commit to fixing the current bugs in an appropriate manner of time.  Without this, I'm looking to return the product to Netgear.  Sacrificing critical security patches for stability is bad operating procedure in 2022.

This extender was setup using the wizard via the App as well as directly on the Extender itself after a reset.  No change in behavior.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@mmschumac wrote:

I'm currently running the most recent firmware on both the R700 and EX7700.  These were both updated after the initial issues with the stability of the system.----Doesn't mean your on the latest. Its why we ask you to look at what actual number you're on. 

So EX7700:

R7000:

I'm happy to attempt different firmware but need Netgear to supply a stable version #.---most of the versions are stable but every once in a while you run into one that doesn't work well for a certain person. tough to know when we don't know what one you're on.   Also, I'd like Netgear to commit to fixing the current bugs in an appropriate manner of time.----wouldn't that be awesome?! But you're on a the community support forum wehere members of the public help out. We're not netgear. And you won't see netgear "committing" to anything. Things change. Security bugs need fixing that causes other issues. Its the nature of the beast as routers get more complex. And the R7000 is a 8 year old router so I'm impressed its even still getting updates.   Without this, I'm looking to return the product to Netgear.----If thats what you're expectations are, it might not be a bad plan. But good luck finding any other manufacturer still updating their devices 8 years after releases. I've had flagship routers from other manufacturers that only had an initial release on firmware. Some have had better luck with 3rd party firmwares like ddwrt because the community updates them. Might be an option for you.   Sacrificing critical security patches for stability is bad operating procedure in 2022.---most security updates are on theoretical bugs that some researcher finds. And again, its impressive they're still being sent out on this device. But feel free to persue other manufacturers if you feel they'll support longer. 

This extender was setup using the wizard via the App as well as directly on the Extender itself after a reset.  No change in behavior.---have you tried simply downgrading a version or 2 on the extender?

Message 4 of 8
mmschumac
Tutor

I appreciate the detalied response and trust me, I appreciate the help on this!

The support has been so unresponsive that I'm trying all avenues to get their attention.  I've seen their staff reply to the community threads in the past which is another reason I'm posting here.

While the original model of the R7000 was released in 2013, I purchased the R7000-AC1900 just over 2 years ago directly from Netgear.  I love new tech as much as the next guy but couldn't justify paying exorbinant amounts of money for a router in the early days of WiFi6.

IRT to R7000, I'm running firmware version 1.0.11.130 which is the current release.

IRT to the EX7700, I'm running 1.0.222 which is the current release as well.

I'm happy to downgrade the EX7700 but would be curious if anyone knew of a stable release.  Playing whack-a-mole with releases seems better suited for NetGear's QA department lol.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

I'd try the 1.0.0.210 on the EX7700. I didn't see as much issues on that version as I did on the .222 version. 

When you install it, try factory resetting and reinstalling. 

The R7000 is more of a problem child. the MOST stable I've seen was the 1.0.9.42 version but that is significantly old. 

But the R7000 has quite strong 3rd party firmware base. There's a lot of aftermarket one's for it. 

I'd say try changing the ex7700's firmware first and see how it does. 

Message 6 of 8
mmschumac
Tutor

Thanks again.

I downgraded to .210 a little over 2 hours ago and it’s been stable since. This is the longest period of stability I’ve had since installing the product.

I’ll post back after I’ve given this more time to burn in.
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Here's hoping it stays stable for you!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements