Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX8000 Vitual MAC VS R8000 Access/block List - Explanation - Please (is information shared)

NG7856
Tutor

EX8000 Vitual MAC VS R8000 Access/block List - Explanation - Please (is information shared)

I am using the ACCESS/BLOCK on on my R8000.  I also have a EX8000 extender connected to the router.

The EX8000 creates virtual MAC addresses to some of my devices. The R8000 does not see the real MAC address but the virtual mac addresses from the EX8000.  Therefore, what I see in the R8000  "attached devices" list and the access/block list is the virtual mac addresses from the EX8000.

Since I do not know (in advance) the virtual MAC addresses from the EX8000, how do you block devices in the R8000 that come from a device (like EX8000) that creates virtual MAC addresses.

- Please explain how you can block a device from an extender that creates a vitual MAC.  

- Since my "attached device" list is never correct (even after refresh), how can I be sure that the access/block list is getting the correct information?

- Is the "attached devices" list separate information than the information sent to the access/block list?  If not, an incorrect "attached device" list would indicate a major security problem  -- Right?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: EX8000 Vitual MAC VS R8000 Access/block List - Explanation - Please (is information shared)

Check out Page 33 of the Ex8000 manual it explains what is going on.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX8000/EX8000_UM_EN.pdf

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: EX8000 Vitual MAC VS R8000 Access/block List - Explanation - Please (is information shared)

Check out Page 33 of the Ex8000 manual it explains what is going on.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX8000/EX8000_UM_EN.pdf

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
NG7856
Tutor

I do not know what happened - maybe a hot fix but the R8000P Aattached list is workin great.  In fat, the R8000P has been a very reliable router and it seems to "self-fxing" any problem I have found.

BTW: I have not updated the firmware but the problem are being fixed.  

Great router and company.  The only con would be that they software/firmware needs more testing before release.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7