Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Email from Netgear? - Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR

TerryJColes
Luminary

Email from Netgear? - Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR

I received an email from Netgear entitled 'Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR'.  Since I never trust emails that just 'pop-up' in my inbox, especially ones inviting me to install new firmware, I ignored it and logged into my router.

Instead of being invited to download and install the new firmware as usual, the router reported that 'No new firmware update is available'.  I then went to the Netgear downloads page (by navigating there and not by clicking on the link in the email) and there is the new version (v1.0.1.44).

So.  Is my router broken in some way, or is there an error at the server end?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

there's an issue at the server end. your router is fine. I also received the email and it looks legitimate to me. NG sometimes sends mails when they think an update is (very) important and you shouldn't miss it

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
microchip8
Master

there's an issue at the server end. your router is fine. I also received the email and it looks legitimate to me. NG sometimes sends mails when they think an update is (very) important and you shouldn't miss it

Message 2 of 9
TerryJColes
Luminary

Thanks.

This is what I suspected, but I thought it wise to alert Netgear that there might be an issue.

All done now.

Message 3 of 9
microchip8
Master

Normally, you'll only receiver emails from NG if you have a registered product. At least I suspect so since I have 2 registered products (an R7000 and an R7800 router) and in the email I got both routers were listed. Both of my routers were registered shortly after purchase

Message 4 of 9
TerryJColes
Luminary

I actually have four Netgear products registered, but only three are currently in full use (one old DGND3700 is currently being used in a private network to act as a switch and wireless router with no connection to the Internet).

In the past, I've generally found out about updates by logging into the device and asking it to check.

Message 5 of 9
Blackaye
Initiate

Thank you for inf regarding the server.

I too received this email and attempted to update the firmware (as instructed) initially thru the Nighthawk App (which registered FIRMWARE CHECK ERROR) and then via Nighthawk dashboard which registered NO NEW FIRMWARE. I assume from your mail we wait for the server to be fixed?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 9
TerryJColes
Luminary

You don't have to wait if you don't wish to.  Even before I posted my query, I had come to the conclusion that the message was not a scam because the referenced new version was in fact on the Netgear server (as opposed to some server somewhere in Russia, China, take-your pick; which might have appeared if I'd clicked on the link in the email).

So, without clicking in the email, I opened my browser, logged into my Account at Netgear, went to the Downloads page for my model and followed the instructions to install the new firmware.

You can wait if you want to be 110% certain of course, but it might take them a while, this being a weekend.

Message 7 of 9

Credit to @microchip8 for conveying that the servers hosting files used by the Auto Check and Update feature in the GUI are often behind.

I also recommend that you not use this method for updating.  Manual update from a PC as @TerryJColes pointed out is the safest and most reliable way to upgrade.  Upgrades should always be planned and on your terms.     

Message 8 of 9
Blackaye
Initiate

Perfect!

Thank you  for all the advice @microchip8 and shadowsports 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation