Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Email won't connect to server while on wifi

dcredondo
Aspirant

Email won't connect to server while on wifi

I cannot connect to my email servers while using by computer and my iphone SE while on my home wifi.  I can do so using celluar on my iphone if I turn off its wifi connection off.  My ISP asked me to reboot my router.  It works fine for several hours and then it stops working.  I can still connect to the internet just fine, but I cannot get email to work.  Any ideas?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Email won't connect to server while on wifi

What modem do you have? 

What firmware is on the router?

Are you using any parental controls/vpn's?

Message 2 of 9
dcredondo
Aspirant

It's an R6700v2.

Firmware: v1.2.0.74_1.0.1

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 9
dcredondo
Aspirant

There are no known parental controls on the network.

The modem is a VisionNet ADSL2+.

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

Which visionnet? many of them have their own router built in. It can cause a double nat situation. might cause the issue you're running into.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Easy check is to put the r6700 in ap mode.
Message 5 of 9
dcredondo
Aspirant

Model M405E.

The router and the modem worked together fine since I bought the router in 2017.  I did not have any email connection problems.  I migrated to a new computer a month ago and the the router and modem worked fine together, as I did not have any email connection problems.

The problem first surfaced earlier this week.  Rebooting the router allows Outlook and my mail app on the iPhone to connect to the email server.  But the connection problem comes back after several hours.

Thank you for giving this some thought.

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

that model has its own integrated routing functions. It can cause that double nat. And it might have been a firmware change from the isp, it might have been a change to the iphone's security policies. There's several things it can be. But I'd fix the double nat issue first. 

Message 7 of 9
dcredondo
Aspirant

Oddly, it started working again for about an hour, but then it's back unable to connect again for the past three hours.

Message 8 of 9
dcredondo
Aspirant

Solved (fingers crossed): My domain host (on second call to them) says they had blacklisted the IP address generated by the router.  They tech service rep added the IP address to their white list and the connection to the mail server happened instantly.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7