Emailing Log Files - Gmail alternatives

Torein
Aspirant

Emailing Log Files - Gmail alternatives

I'm disappointed that the Nighthawk R7000 doesn't allow for encrypted email services. The only option right now seems to be to send the logs through port 25.

Are there any alternatives to this? I'm thinking of setting up a raspberry pi to run an smtp server to log the files and then resend them but this would be a longer project than I would like to get into right now.

If anyone else has come up with any solutions to this I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thank you!

Hardware Version: R7000
Firmware Version: V1.0.7.2_1.1.93
GUI Language Version: V1.0.7.2_2.1.38.2
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Re: Emailing Log Files - Gmail alternatives

Hi Torein,

You may use any SSL type of email for email notification. If you have a gmail account, use port 465 as the the port number. If port 25 is not working, it might be blocked by ISP. Use other port numbers.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 2 of 6
Torein
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. I tried that previously but just to be sure I did it again.

When I go to manually send the log file this is the error.

[email failed] internet connection is dropped, Wednesday, Sep 21,2016 18:10:31

I do have Cox as an ISP which may be blocking even that port. Although, accordingly to their help page it shouldn't be blocked. http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=cacf82f0-6407-11df-ccef-000000...

My settings are:

smtp.gmail.com

"My mail server requires authentication" is checked

and all other information is filled out appropriately. 

Hardware Version: R7000
Firmware Version: V1.0.7.2_1.1.93
GUI Language Version: V1.0.7.2_2.1.38.2
Message 3 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi Torein,

Can you check with your ISP if they can check if the ports are closed or blocked from their end.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 4 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi Torein,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 5 of 6
MasaKusumoto
Initiate

Hi Torein,

I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed.

I just bought R7000 and I went through the same disappointment trying to get gmail working this way and that way.

Then I came to a conclusion that gmail does not work.

Fortunately I found that one of my email account supports port 587 with no security. When I tested, it work good with no hassle.

I guess that the R7000 firmware does not support SSL nor TLS and it should be made clear somewhere otherwise more people will be disappointed.

Regards,

Masa

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E