Emailling the Log Files

LeeH
Prodigy

Emailling the Log Files

Anyone figure out how to setup the mail logs function to work with gmail or yahoo? I get the error:

[email failed] Must issue a STARTTLS command first, Monday, Mar 24,2014 20:01:25

Trying to use smtp on port 25
Message 1 of 8
Devor
Luminary

Re: Emailling the Log Files

I don't use Gmail or for that matter Google. I do e-mail my router logs, but to a secondary private account. Having said that, have you read this here?
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Port 25 is blocked by several US ISP's
Message 3 of 8
LeeH
Prodigy

OK Tried ports 465 and 587. Still getting the following error:

[email failed] Must issue a STARTTLS command first. h90sm26901101qgf.3 - gsmtp, Tuesday, Mar 25,2014 09:25:39

It looks like the R7000 doesn't support TLS/SSL email traffic. I don't know if Netgear would work on this without enough people requesting this feature. Probably not. Not even sure if the STARTTLS message is being generated by Gmail or the R7000.
Message 4 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

ports 465 and 587.

It always been not supported for years
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 8
stevnim
Star

Gmail is sending daily logs to me OK. Using V1.0.3.24_1.1.20, Comcast ISP. Outgoing mail server: smtp.comcast.net Send to this email address: username@gmail.com Outgoing mail server port: 587 My mail server requires authentication: Enabled User Name: username (Comcast username) Password: password (Comcast password) Send alert immediately: Enabled Send logs according to schedule: Daily, 12:00 a.m. Good luck.
Message 6 of 8
Techguy73
Aspirant

So to clarify the starttls error message, Hotmail and Gmail are not supported by this router?

I've configured the right smtp.live.com or smtp.gmail.com, with port 587 and still get the above error.

Please clarify.
Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've hit the same issue. I was hoping the newer routers supported what the old routers could do. What appears to work for people is to find an email service that does not require SSL or TLS. The ComCast user account and other basic ISP email addresses typically do not require SSL or TLS for login.

Netgear needs to add this simple functionality:mad:.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E