Re: Enable Remote Management for R8000 in Access Point mode

captbrando2
Guide

Enable Remote Management for R8000 in Access Point mode

Folks:

I have an existing network that I purchased this wicked looking device to solve some range problems in my house. So far, it's running SO KICK ASS.

One question I have. I don't want this in Router mode. I don't need another router, I handle all of that outside of this device. I have a static DHCP assignment that goes to the Nighthawk such that it always gets the same IP address (let's say, 192.168.0.250). What I want to be able to do, is "remotely" manage this device while I'm on the wired side of my network. If I am plugged into the same switch that the Nighthawk is plugged in to, I want to be able to open a browser and access its web interface to administer the Nighthawk, all in AP mode.

Right now, I can ping the interface, and using Lynx I can get it to present authentication, but it never actually fully connects. Any thoughts on how to get this done?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Just one, Use a supported browser

Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 5.0, Firefox® 2.0,

Safari® 1.4, or Google Chrome11.0 browsers

or higher

Message 2 of 22
captbrando2
Guide

Unfortunately that does not work. First thing I tried was Chrome on a mac. It's the most recent version and the response from the R8000 is "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE"

Message 3 of 22
captbrando2
Guide

That does not work. When I first had it installed in the new configuration, I used the latest Chrome on my mac. Chrome fails with "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE"

Message 4 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I don't use a Mac as of yet and not familar with chrome either sorry, maybe you could try using a friends PC

Message 5 of 22
captbrando2
Guide

I use the same browser when I am connected to the WiFi side of the device and it works fine. There is clearly a bug in the firmware that does not allow me to manage it from the wired side.

Netgear, can you fix?

Message 6 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Strange,

I'm not seeing a problem, I can manage my r8000 in AP Mode via wired and wireless.

r8000.png

Message 7 of 22
captbrando2
Guide

Just wondering, are you on the most recent Firmware?

Message 8 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

1.0.3.4 yes

Message 9 of 22
captbrando2
Guide

Final question (for now.. Smiley Happy).

When you access the AP from the wired side, are you coming from the same IP address range as what is on the device? I am coming from a different range (but routable, and in fact, I can ping stuff connected to the AP on the WiFi side), but wondering if there is some bug in the stack that is causing this to fail?

Message 10 of 22
JamesGL
Master

Hi captbrando2,

Can you provide us the exact network topology that you have and the IP addressess of your network.

Message 11 of 22
captbrando2
Guide

Message 12 of 22
JamesGL
Master

Hi captbrando2,

I cannot access the site as it asks for a login.

Message 13 of 22
JamesGL
Master

Hi captbrando2,

This is how the router was designed. When the client/PC IP is on a different subnet from the router's LAN subnet, the router or the AP will block the UI access.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 14 of 22
captbrando2
Guide

Doesn't that seem like a terrible design to you? Clearly the device is capable of remote management as a router, why wouldn't it have the same properties as an AP?

Message 15 of 22
JamesGL
Master

Hi captbrando2,

The Remote Management works via the WAN side for the router. You can access it via the IP address on the Internet port or the dynamic DNS which are disabled when the router is set to AP mode.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 16 of 22
captbrando2
Guide

So I am learning, but your competitors don't code their products that way. It really limits the management ability of a great product. For the money I spent on this to expand the signal throughout my house, I would have expected more enterprise-level functionality.

Message 17 of 22
storm1985
Prodigy

i have a suggestion .. what if you set a static IP address on your adapter (your main subnet) then add another IP route through advance IP properties (with IP subnet of the NETGEAR router). Let me know if this works for you. 

Message 18 of 22
storm1985
Prodigy

@captbrando2 were you able to do test the workaround I suggested?  

Advanced IP settings.jpg

Message 19 of 22
Raider186
Aspirant

I have the same problem/issue with the R7000 router so I would assume that this is common to most Netgear Routers.

I have a home network with 4 segments:

1. Internet
  2. Wired Network (192.168.1.x)
  3. Wireless (192.168.2.x)
  4. MoCaNet (192.168.3.x)

I currently have two Netgear R7000 wireless routers. Both are configured as Access Points. One is on the Wireless segment (192.168.2.10), the other on the MoCaNet segment (192.168.3.10). Both R7000s connect to my network from a PFSense router through the R7000's WAN port.

What I (and I assume @captbrando2) want to be able to do is basically manage one or more Routers from a PC on the Wired Network. In effect, managing the router through its WAN port. This, apparently, is not allowed when the Router is in AP mode. Using ANY computer/OS with ANY browser returns something like:

R7000 Error.jpg 

(I am trying to access the router from the Wired network segment)

The only way to manage one of these routers is to either connect to the Wireless side of the router (somewhat of a pain for me because I have set my routers up using the same SSID/Password for a wireless mesh network or plug directly into one of the routers LAN ports. Netgear should be able to configure these routers so that we have the option to manage these routers through the WAN port while they are in AP mode.

If anyone knows how to do this given the above configuration, please let me know.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router,R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 20 of 22
captbrando2
Guide

Unfortunately that did not work.

Message 21 of 22
captbrando2
Guide

Yes, this exactly. That's what I would like to do. 

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E