Enable Smart Control and Chromecast 2nd gen on R7000

mot37
Tutor

Enable Smart Control and Chromecast 2nd gen on R7000

So I enabled smart control on my Nighthawk R7000 router.  I like the smart control option where they're both on the same SSID and signals/security and passwords all match; however - 

I have a few second gen chromecasts.  These can operate on the AC bands, specifically 5gig.  Note:  this is different than the original 1st gen chromecast that only went on the 2.4.  However with the enable smart control on, and things like my phone correctly choosing the right Antenea (5 gig by checking the conencted devices on the 2,4 and 5 gig mac addresses) - the 2nd gen chrome cast still always connects to the 2.4 frequency band.

Since I'm streaming video to my chromecast often, why isn't smart control detecting my chromecast is able to use the 5 gig band and putting it on there automatically?  I didn't see any settings where I could add an override or table rule where I can ask the router to always make this device 5 gig without having to decouple the smart control again manually.

Truth be hold, i have not also removed the chromecast or walked through setup again either to see if it just needs to be reset, but if I don't make an edit or followup post here after, assume that didn't work.

So how can smart control choose the right smart control for 2nd gen chromecast devices on the right band?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
mot37
Tutor

Re: Enable Smart Control and Chromecast 2nd gen on R7000

Resetting the chromecast still found its way back onto the 2.4 frequency.  This comes down to why doesn't smart control detect that my 2nd gen chromecast with support for the 5.0 frequency get assigned to the 2.4 frequency when its in fact AC compatible?

Reference:  https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3046409?hl=en

Chromecast specs:

• Wireless Standards: 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi (2.4GHz/5GHz)
  • Wireless Security: WEP, WPA/WPA2
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi mot37,

1. What is the firmware version of the router?

2. If you disable smart connect, will the Chromecast connects to 5Ghz?

Message 3 of 7
mondenath
Prodigy

As far as i believe the way smart connect works like only if the 2.4ghz is congested and you are using excess bandwidth for a specific device which it supports 5ghz as well then it will move.

It was not desgined to assign the bandspecific device to respective bands.

Message 4 of 7
mot37
Tutor

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi mot37,

1. What is the firmware version of the router?

2. If you disable smart connect, will the Chromecast connects to 5Ghz?

FIrmware is the most recent one just released this week that patches that known security hole.  I don't have it handy.

And yes, when I had segregated bands, the 2ndg gen chomecasts connected to the 5Hz

Message 5 of 7
mot37
Tutor

@mondenath wrote:

As far as i believe the way smart connect works like only if the 2.4ghz is congested and you are using excess bandwidth for a specific device which it supports 5ghz as well then it will move.

It was not desgined to assign the bandspecific device to respective bands.

That's a pretty big assumption.  I'd rather a moderator or developer make that assumption. Doesn't make sense to me that only when 2.4 is congested, it graduates devices capable to the higher band.  Frankly that doesn't seem programatically correct.  Thats to say that when a device connects, the router knows which device is capable to run on the 5, but connects it to 2.4... until its congested, and then it finds that 5 list of capable and throws them up on that.  Remember, not every device connecting can use the 5 band.  

So by deductive logic, why would you have the router know on connecting which can operate on the 5, operate on the 2.4 until conjection?  Doesn't seem right.

To backup my claims - all other AC 5 band capable hardware are listed on the 5 gig band, and the 2.4 capable (g/n) are there.  Its just the 2nd gen chromecasts that are being assigned by smart connect to the 2.4 band incorrectly.  As if the Smart Control isn't seeing they are 5 capable and promoting these devices up to the 5.

Should be easy to test right?  Everyone has a chromecast there at Netgear, some with a second gen and this router and smart control enabled?  Pops those up and see which band it gets assigned.  Odd part for me - I have (2) chromecasts 2nd gen devices and (2) 1st gen devices.  1st gen are populating correct in the 2.4.  The 2 (2nd gen) are going to 2.4 as well.  This leads me to believe its not a specific bad 2nd gen chromecast device and more of a misconnection/communication when these devices are being interogated (for lack of a better word) on connect to the R7000 with smart control enabled.

Message 6 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi mot37,

Not necessarily that if the device supports 5Ghz it automatically be assigned to 5Ghz. The router check faster and slower devices and assigned them to specific bands and it also performs load balancing. 

https://kb.netgear.com/29834/Configuring-Smart-Connect-on-your-Nighthawk-R7000

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E