• 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Enabling Upstream QoS Rules

A few questions:

1) Are QoS Priority Rules active and live if the "Enable Upstream QoS (Optimized for Gaming)" option is unchecked?

2) Is upstream QoS still effective when "Turn Bandwidth Control On" is unchecked? What is the benefit(s) of enabling this?

3) What value do you recommend putting in for the bandwidth limit? For example, if speedtest.net says my uplink is 35 mbps, would you put in 35 or, say, 30?

To keep this within context, my goal is to provide the most stable environment for VoIP (e.g. no jitter, no choppiness, and no dropped calls).

Thanks!
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: Enabling Upstream QoS Rules

Judging by all the other posts on the topic, if you want better VoIP, don't use QoS.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm getting that impression too. Hoping to get some insight into some of the other questions too.

Thanks for the reply! :-)
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Forget about bandwidth and focus on priority level! Anything that controls bandwidth will have some negative effect on it. It cannot increase it, it can only hold back from using %100. It's that simple.
Message 4 of 4