Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Error when navigating from a link

JimmyW
Luminary

Error when navigating from a link

I've reported a simialr issue in the past and tried a few suggestions, such as switching my DNS from Spectrum to Google. All too often, I click a link and am presented with a Firefox (65.0) screen as in the screenshot.  If I click the Try Again button, I'm always sent to the site that I requested without further issue.  Rergardless, it's annoying, es[ecially when I've completed a form and then lost the data when I try to send it.  Does anyone have an other ideas or a fix?  My router and Spectrum service are performing fine AFAIK.   Thanks.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

@JimmyW wrote:

Sorry for my mixup.  Just opened my settings.  My firmware is V1.0.9.42_10.2.44.  The router is an AC1900 R7000

OK, stay there an test. That is probably  last f/w that was stable for most people.

Personally, I don't think it is the router? We'd have a flood of complaints if it did.

I'll tell you this, my wife was on my back 2 days ago. I've been moving USB Network Adapters between our PC's, her's is Pro and mine is Home. We've got 2 different USB AC speed NIC's. I can't always boot with one and it has no problem on her PC. However on her PC it sometimes is slow coming out of sleep, and sometimes she must manually connect.. all well and good.

2 days ago she could NOT login to a web site. Similar to your problem. I ran troubleshooter's, looked at all possible TCP/IP settings. We both run Firefox, same level. She had a lot of 'purchasing/coupon ad-ons'. I ran her FF in Safe mode. Problem remained. Went to my PC and created an account. I had NO problems signing in? Went to her PC and I didn't either? Huh? So we created a NEW account for her, poof it worked? Discovered her OLD USERID was her first name. We use RoboForm and it filled that in and tried to login. FAILED with that. Noticed it NOW wanted the E-MAIL address. Used the old account e-mail address and it worked? That is until today... seems the web site is changing.

So don't blame everything on something new I guess is the moral here. Oh, web site owner's (a pop-up window gives and e-mail address to contact them) support, USELESS... they had NO clue... usual garbage, clear cache, reboot PC, try a different browser... none helped.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Have Spectrum as well and FF 65.0.

I do NOT have this problem using Spectrum's default DNS's, 209.18.47.62 and 209.18.47.61 (yours might vary depending on area).

Since wife's PC is also on the network and using FF65.0 as well, you'd think her PC wouldn't do that, but it does on occasion. BIG difference, she uses MANY more ADD-ON's than I do, most are shopping ones as well. When she had that problem I used the HELP on FF to RESTART WITH ADD-ONS DISABLED (called Safe Mode and those will turn back on the next time you start FF) and that problem 'went away'. Never started to disable individual ones to figure out which one though.  She 'lives' with it, and the SLOW LOADING of pages she sees as well. I'm sure it is all related as in Safe Mode pages open very fast.

Message 2 of 11
JimmyW
Luminary

Thanks.  I have about a dozen add-ons, but haven't tried the disable & test approach.  The problem is intermittent, so I'd have to browse for an hour or so to see whether it presents without add-ons.  Then, I'd have to do the same thing for each add-on.  I do know that this issue appeared with the arrival of this R7000 router, and was not a problem with a previous, older-model Netgear router.  With my currenrt R7000, I connect on the high band and had terribly slow speed on low band.  Otherwise, my pages load very quickly.  I also had tried Google's and CloudFare's DNS servers, but that didn't make a difference. 

Message 3 of 11
myersw
Master

Based on your and @IrvSp  have you tried a different browser such as Chrome? 

Maybe an issue with the browser and nothing to do with the network.

Message 4 of 11
IrvSp
Master

From the additional info you provided I still doubt it is the router?

Are you one the V1,0.9.60 or .64 R7000 release? Those are troublesome for many people. Although it seems you never had it working with the R7000? In any event, if you are using either of those 2 firmwares I'd suggest login to the router and taking and saving SCREEN CAPTURES of any changes you might have made and also save the configuration. Then make sure you have the V1.0.9.42 firmware before you do this. On the ADVANCED TAB, the ADMINSTRATION side tab, the the BACKUP Seeting, after you've saved away the settings, press the ERASE button on the bottom line. Install the .42 firmware, enter manually any setting you need and test. Still having a problem might as well put back the old firmware.

There are two other possibilities, as @myersw  pointed out it could be the browser, I'm on Firefox 65.0, and it was updated recently. That is why using other browsers might make it work.

Firefox has some help for this too, see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/websites-dont-load-troubleshoot-and-fix-errors.

Not saying it isn't the router, just make sure something else isn't the cause. It could be the router has a shorter timeout for a TCP/IP packet to come back?

Since this is 'random', it could be due to traffic on the web site or on the router even.

Oh, use the law of 1/2's. Basically if you have 8 add-on's, and disable them all and no problem, then only enable 4 of them and test. Have a problem, disable 2, still a problem, then 1 and test. OK, disable it and enable the other (to make sure it fails). Do the same for the other 4 if the first 4 works OK. Of course it could be a combination of two even?

Message 5 of 11
JimmyW
Luminary

My firmware is 10.2.44  on my R7000.  I do see that 10.2.64 is available, but I haven't installed it yet.  Do you advise against it?  Other than the issue that I described in my first post, everything is good (with high band).  I do have my current .cfg file and screenshots.  I can't seem to find the .44 firmware on Netgear's site, only the .42.

Message 6 of 11
myersw
Master

@JimmyW wrote:

My firmware is 10.2.44  on my R7000.  I do see that 10.2.64 is available, but I haven't installed it yet.  Do you advise against it?  Other than the issue that I described in my first post, everything is good (with high band).  I do have my current .cfg file and screenshots.  I can't seem to find the .44 firmware on Netgear's site, only the .42.

Personally, from what I have seen, if you are not experiencing issues stay with the firmware you are running. If problems then go to the .42 firmware. Netgear is really putting out some crappy firmware and latest is not the greatest.

Message 7 of 11
IrvSp
Master

OK, I am confused...

"10.2.44 on my R7000"

That is NOT R7000 firmware. It starts with V1.9 followeb by x.xx.

" I do see that 10.2.64 is available" That is NOT as well?

Assumong you mean "V1.0.2.44", that version is for many different routers, R7800, R8000, R6400v2, and maybe others.

Actually, doing the test first with no add-ons in this case is probably the right thing to do. The find you router on the SUPPORT link and look for the latest D/L. If newer than what you have, install it and test.

Having NOT seen this complaint by others myself, I can't say if it is specific to your browser or even the router.

Message 8 of 11
IrvSp
Master

Assuming you are an R78000 at V1,0,2,44, you have REALLY old F/W. See https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7800.aspx#download and the screen capture on right.

I'd upgrade immediately and test.

Message 9 of 11
JimmyW
Luminary

Sorry for my mixup.  Just opened my settings.  My firmware is V1.0.9.42_10.2.44.  The router is an AC1900 R7000

Message 10 of 11
IrvSp
Master

@JimmyW wrote:

OK, stay there an test. That is probably  last f/w that was stable for most people.

Personally, I don't think it is the router? We'd have a flood of complaints if it did.

I'll tell you this, my wife was on my back 2 days ago. I've been moving USB Network Adapters between our PC's, her's is Pro and mine is Home. We've got 2 different USB AC speed NIC's. I can't always boot with one and it has no problem on her PC. However on her PC it sometimes is slow coming out of sleep, and sometimes she must manually connect.. all well and good.

2 days ago she could NOT login to a web site. Similar to your problem. I ran troubleshooter's, looked at all possible TCP/IP settings. We both run Firefox, same level. She had a lot of 'purchasing/coupon ad-ons'. I ran her FF in Safe mode. Problem remained. Went to my PC and created an account. I had NO problems signing in? Went to her PC and I didn't either? Huh? So we created a NEW account for her, poof it worked? Discovered her OLD USERID was her first name. We use RoboForm and it filled that in and tried to login. FAILED with that. Noticed it NOW wanted the E-MAIL address. Used the old account e-mail address and it worked? That is until today... seems the web site is changing.

So don't blame everything on something new I guess is the moral here. Oh, web site owner's (a pop-up window gives and e-mail address to contact them) support, USELESS... they had NO clue... usual garbage, clear cache, reboot PC, try a different browser... none helped.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7