Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet Port Speed

Rich-Hatch
Aspirant

Ethernet Port Speed

Good Afternoon all,

I just purchased a Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router and have a quick question.

I have four ethernet ports on the back of the router, when I plug my computer into one of the ethernet ports on the router, the lights on the top turn's white (which means I'm operating at 1 Gbps speed) . When I plug my wife's computer into the router, her light turns amber, which mean she is operating a 100 Mbps speed.

I was told by different people that once I plug her computer into the router, all my ports will now operate at 100Mbps speed instead of the 1 Gbps speed it this true?

Thanks for any help!

Rich

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: Ethernet Port Speed

No. The Reader's Digest version...  Port speeds are based on the network adapter, of the device that is connected to a LAN port  (speed is negotiated between both) on a router / switch  (LAN ports operate independently on the router). Port speed is also dependent on the Ethernet cable being used - ie: Using a CAT5 (up to 100Mbps) cable vs. using CAT5e, CAT6  up to 1Gbps, in your routers case. Always use CAT5e or CAT6 Ethernet cables, and you'll be fine.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
netwrks
Master

No. The Reader's Digest version...  Port speeds are based on the network adapter, of the device that is connected to a LAN port  (speed is negotiated between both) on a router / switch  (LAN ports operate independently on the router). Port speed is also dependent on the Ethernet cable being used - ie: Using a CAT5 (up to 100Mbps) cable vs. using CAT5e, CAT6  up to 1Gbps, in your routers case. Always use CAT5e or CAT6 Ethernet cables, and you'll be fine.

Message 2 of 3
Rich-Hatch
Aspirant

Thanks you very much for all your help!

I wish you and your family well.

Rich

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos