Highlighted
Follower

Ethernet Slower than WiFi

I’ve been struggling with this for a few weeks now so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I’m fortunate enough to work for a company that is allowing me to work from home. The only problem I am having is that my remote work setup needs to be connected via ethernet. For some reason the Ethernet speeds coming from my router are substantially slower than wifi. I’m getting ~400Mbps download with wifi and ~70Mbps with ethernet. I need a stable connection over 100Mbps in order for my remote workstation to be usable.

Through a visit with a technician from my ISP (Spectrum) we determined that I’m receiving the speeds I should be through Spectrum and that the signal is good all the way up to the point where it reaches the router. When the work from home order started I upgraded my internet and purchased an ASUS RT-AC68U to replace an old Apple Airport router. When I started having these Ethernet issues with the ASUS router I contacted support who needed 24-48 hours to reply. I panicked a little and went and bought a Netgear Nighthawk 7000P because I just wanted a router that was going to work ASAP. To my dismay I experienced the exact same issue. Same speeds for both WiFi and Ethernet on both routers.

I’ve been through support with both router manufactures and my ISP. I’ve also done quite a bit of online research though I’ll admit my knowledge of home networks is pretty minimal. So far this is what I’ve done:

- tested the Ethernet with three different cables (two cat5e, one cat6)

- tested every port on the back of each router

- restored factory settings and confirmed with support from each manufacturer that I have the correct firmware

- enabled jumbo packets

- tested on three different devices (a MacBook Pro, a windows desktop & a PS4)

- disabled QoS

As of now I have the ASUS router connected again and plan on keeping it and returning the Netgear. I’ve seen a couple of potential fixes online but don’t entirely know how to go about doing them.

- one is updating the networks drivers. Is this the same as firmware for the router. Not quite sure what this means or how to go about doing this.

- disable large send offload (LSO), can’t find this option anywhere

- alter duplex settings, haven’t seen any mention of this in the router UI portal and wouldn’t know how to change them anyway

- disable IPv6, not sure where this is either

Thank you so much for reading this lengthy post. Can’t say enough how much I’d appreciate any insight whatsoever. Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll do my best to reply ASAP.

Message 1 of 2
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Ethernet Slower than WiFi

When you've used 2 different routers from 2 different manufacturer's and they both have the SAME issue, its tends not to be the routers. 

That leaves either the modem or the line causing the issue.

What modem is spectrum giving you? 

problem with spectrum is their provided modems are locked down so the end user can't even log into them to check signal strengths. It leaves the user having to trust the technicians with "its not our line" 

What I'd try? 

You already have the modem from spectrum. 

Rent their router for a while. If you're not getting speeds and everything is their equipment, then they need to figure out where the slow down is. It prevents them from being able to blame "3rd party equipment". 

I've had to do this before with spectrum to get them to fix a line issue. 

CM2000-> Arris AX11000 W31-> GS716v2-> WAX***-AP
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements