Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet connection

rlaw52
Tutor

Ethernet connection

When I connect an ethernet cable to the the router and laptop, downloads are slower than wifi.  I have tried several cables, same issue.  Anyone have solutions?

Model: C6250|AC1600 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Ethernet connection

What speeds do you get hardwired? 

What device are you using for testing? Does it have a gigabit connection or is it a 10/100mbps connection? 

What speeds do you get wireless? 

Message 2 of 11
rlaw52
Tutor

wifi  DL  22.8Mbps  UL 5.81Mbps       wired  DL  89.7Mbps  UL 5.79Mbps

Websites are okay, it is only when I DL movies/files.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

So its your wireless thats slow? not the wired as you originally wrote?

Message 4 of 11
rlaw52
Tutor

Nope, that is what the test denotes but when DL'ing files, the transfer speed is faster on wifi than Ethernet.  When I had the Comcast modem/router the acrtual transfer speed was faster on wired.  Makes no sense.  As stated, I have tried several cables and same issue.  I am on wired currently and sites do load faster.  It is just the transfer speed with DL's.

Message 5 of 11
rlaw52
Tutor

Forgot to add, I recently purchased a New Dell Inspiron 17 model 3793, Intel i5 processor.  The lap top is fast.

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

@rlaw52 wrote:

Nope, that is what the test denotes but when DL'ing files, the transfer speed is faster on wifi than Ethernet.  When I had the Comcast modem/router the acrtual transfer speed was faster on wired.  Makes no sense.  As stated, I have tried several cables and same issue.  I am on wired currently and sites do load faster.  It is just the transfer speed with DL's.

I guess I'm confused. You're putting what speeds you get and your wired speeds are much faster. So during speed tests, wired is faster but when actually downloading files, its slower? 

If thats the case, its tends to be the server your downloading from. They all allocate bandwidth different depending on time of day/load/bandwidth available. 

Message 7 of 11
rlaw52
Tutor

thanks, never thought of that issue.  I did troubleshooting and checked all adapters, no issues.    As stated, this laptop is less than a month old.  I will see how it acts with other sites.  Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 11
rlaw52
Tutor

Next question, can this modem be updated?  Does it update automatically?

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

Modem/router combo devices get the updates from the ISP. They're usually pushed automatically or whenever the device reboots. 

But updates on them tend to be rare. Reason is the ISP has to certify them and it costs $. So they only time they push them out is when its a critical update. Netgear sends the ISP updates but its up to the isp to implement them. 

Its one of the main reason we recommend people buy a router seperate from the modem. 

Message 10 of 11
rlaw52
Tutor

Thanks.  

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements