Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ethernet not recognized

lvthatlaugh
Tutor

Ethernet not recognized

House electricity went out last night. Router would not recognize ethernet afterwards. Called internet provider -modem and ethernet cable working fine. Tried to reset router, didn't help. Performed loop back and router IS recognizing the cable and BOTH ports (lights on). What do I do now? If loop test works what's next?
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
lvthatlaugh
Tutor

Thanks! I'm actually an expert at turning them off and back on in the right order. Exchange my router for a new one and it worked fine. Obviously something went wrong with the power outage. Not sure why, we have a $65 surge protector. But wifi is on now and the family is happy once again!

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
William10a
Master

Did you lose your internet but your devices still connect with a no internet warning on them?

If so try this remove power from both the modem and router, wait about two minutes, reapply power to the modem and wait two minutes for it too fully reboot, reapply power to the router wait for to fully reboot.

If not what happen please give more details?

Message 2 of 12
lvthatlaugh
Tutor

We did that. Unplugged both router and modem, waited and replugged in several times. After everything I thought the ethernet port on the router might not be working but then I saw the loop back. I plugged a cord in port 2 then into the ethernet port and the light is on for both. But when I plug the ethernet cord in the light doesn't come on. Thank you for trying to help me.
When I run the genie on my computer it says ethernet not found.
Message 3 of 12
William10a
Master

Not the lan cables the power cables allow the two devices to discharge the caps inside of them boot int the modem and router in this order allows the modem and  router to find their correct order in the network.

You may have lost the lan port part of your routers controller.

You could try a 30-30-30 reset this clears all your settings including the nvram but if this works it would clear any errors in the routers settings and could return the lan ports

1. push the reset button and remove power from the router for 30 seconds while keep pushing the reset button.

2. Keep pushing the reset button  and reapply power to the router for 30 seconds while pushing the reset button.

3. Keep pushing the reset button and re move power from the router for 30 seconds while pushing the reset button.

4 reapply power to the router and reset up.

Message 4 of 12
lvthatlaugh
Tutor

Ok...doing the power like you suggested...
Message 5 of 12
lvthatlaugh
Tutor

Nothing changed... when I run the netgear genie now it says the gateway is invalid. Cannot test End. DHCP server does not work. Try 'ioconfig/ renew' command. ipconfig/ renew failed. PCle The Family controller failed. Sorry, genie fix network failed. Try again or reboot.
Rebooting just repeats the above.
Message 6 of 12
lvthatlaugh
Tutor

Spell check changed a few abbreviations...sorry.
Cannot yest DNS.
Reaktek PCle GBE family contoller failed.
Message 7 of 12
William10a
Master

What light are working on the other I know the lan lights are out from you posting what the interent on the router?

If you connect the computer direct to the modem does the internet work removing the router from the picture?

Do you know how to make lan cable?

If so you can make nulling plug by using a rj45 plug with the pins 1 and 3 jump together, pins 2 and 6 jump together. Pins 4,5,78 are not needed.

You use this plug to test the lan port on you computer if needed will also check routers lan ports they think they have a link between them selves and an network device.

Message 8 of 12
lvthatlaugh
Tutor

Thanks William10a . I'm just a Mom...I have NO idea about pins and stuff. I give up...going to exchange router.
The internet does work when the ethernet is connected to the modem. No internet when its connected to router. Hoping new router does the trick. I'm the tech person, husband has no patience but even I want to smash router now lol. Will let you know and mark this resolved when I get back. Thanks again!
Message 9 of 12

The measures that @William10a details are tje usual networ,m startup steps.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

It may be that your power outage killed something.

Message 10 of 12
lvthatlaugh
Tutor

Thanks! I'm actually an expert at turning them off and back on in the right order. Exchange my router for a new one and it worked fine. Obviously something went wrong with the power outage. Not sure why, we have a $65 surge protector. But wifi is on now and the family is happy once again!
Message 11 of 12

Surge protectors are fine for some things. But they can't handle everything. It depends on the cause of the problem. I know from experience, that not much can stop a lightning strike, for example.

Too late now, but I should have suggested trying a spare power adapter for your old router. But you probably ended up with a shiny new router that adds more bells and whistles to your network.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7