Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet port aggregation between modem (CM1100) and router (R7690P)

davek3
Guide

Ethernet port aggregation between modem (CM1100) and router (R7690P)

RE: Modem: Netgear Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem (CM1100)

&  Router: Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC3600 Tri-Band WiFi Router (R7690P)

Both of these products are supposed to support ethernet port aggregation, however, I've been unable to get this to work. 

Here's what I've tried so far:

1) I logged-in to the modem's internet page to "Enable(LACP-IEEE 802.3ad)" and to the router's internet page to set Ethernet Port Aggregation to "Dynamic (IEEE 802.3ad)"--and clicked on [Apply] to both. 

2) I then connected a 2nd ethernet cable between LAN2 (modem, CM1100) and Port1 (router, R7690P). Note the first ethernet cable is connected between LAN1 (modem, CM1100) and Internet (router, R7690P).

3) Then I powered-down both devices, waited a minute, powered-on the modem (and waited for all the lights to stabilize), and then powered-on the router. 

4) I do still have internet connectivity, but both the modem's and router's internet pages still show Ethernet Port Aggregation Status as "Inactive". 

5) I've also called Netgear support, but they generally seemed unfamiliar with this Ethernet Port Aggregation feature. 

Any information and/or assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

-davek3

Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Ethernet port aggregation between modem (CM1100) and router (R7690P)

Yeah there isn't a benefit to wan aggregation at speeds less than a gig. And as you've found out, it isn't thr most reliable anyway

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Who's your isp?

What firmware is on the CM1100? 

Firmware on the R7690P?

If your R7690P firmware is on 1.4.1.42, have you tried a factory reset and manual re-install (not from backup)? The update to 1.4.1.42 added several features and removed several others. Old settings could potentially be causing issues. 

Message 2 of 4
davek3
Guide

Thanks for your reply.

My ISP is Xfinity Performance Plus Internet (download speeds up to 175 Mbps).

The firmware on my modem (CM1100) is V2.01.02.

The firmware on my router (R7960P) is V1.4.1.44_1.3.5.

Even though my internet service is less than 1 Gbps, given that both my modem and router support WAN aggregation, I thought there might be some benefit to connecting them this way--perhaps better reliability and/or redundancy.

I finally found the manuals for both products online and learned the proper way to setup WAN aggregation between the two (enable online first, then connect the two modem ports to the router's Internet port and Port4. After doing so, I confirmed through both products' online interface portals that WAN aggregation status was "active". Unfortunately, after doing so, my internet speed dropped precipitously--not what I expected. 

Without WAN aggregation, my network provides download speeds of over 200 Mbps (must be overprovisioned by my ISP).

With WAN aggregation, my network provides download speeds of just 40-50 Mbps.

I don't understand why this would be the case, but I've decided to give-up on WAN aggregation at this point and enjoy the higher download speeds without.

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Yeah there isn't a benefit to wan aggregation at speeds less than a gig. And as you've found out, it isn't thr most reliable anyway
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7