Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet port doing weird traffic shaping after upgrade from X6 to X10

Burrisplace
Aspirant

Ethernet port doing weird traffic shaping after upgrade from X6 to X10

I just upgraded from a Nighthawk X6 R7900 to a Nighthawk X10 R8900. I wanted to ask the community how to deal with what I believe is an Ethernet port doing weird traffic shaping. Once I upgraded to the new X10, my wired ethernet internet speed on one of my ports "Desktop" went from 70/30 to 30/60 using Ookla Speed test. When I swap back to the old X6, I get the better 70/30 speeds back! So it has to be some setting on the new X10.

My ethernet port I am using plugs from the ethernet port from the computer "Desktop" into the wall. Inside the wall, there is a cat 6 cable running back to a patch panel in a data closet. The port on the patch panel runs directly into the port on the router via a patch cable. Other enternet ports off of the patch panel seem to work fine.

When I log into the R8900
1) Traffic metter is off.
2) Ethernet Port Aggregation is Disabled.
3) The Quality of Service is Disabled ("Dynamic QoS: Automatic traffic prioritization by application and device")
4) Router Firmware V1.0.2.40
5) Wirless works fine, but need ethernet as building has cement walls with wire mesh.

6) Wirless speeds are about 200/20

7) When I plug direct wired Etnernet into the router port I get about 220/20.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Model: R8900|Nighthawk X10—AD7000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Burrisplace
Aspirant

Re: Ethernet port doing weird traffic shaping after upgrade from X6 to X10

Figured this out.  When I opened up the jack and looked into the metal electrical box (gangbox) behind the jack I found that the installer had not carefully made sweeping loops with the excess cat 6 cable. When packing the excess cat 6, they just did a haphazard impetuous violent jam-job creating lots of sharp bends.  Looked like a rats nest!  Sharp bends create impedance and degrade signal.  When I first straightened out the excess and retested speeds, low and behold, speeds jumped from 60/20 to like 200/20. I carefully repacked the excess using long sweeping loops. I then closed up the box with the face plates. It now works fine!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies

@Burrisplace wrote:

I just upgraded from a Nighthawk X6 R7900 to a Nighthawk X10 R8900. 

When making a change like that, it is a common mistake to simply swap out one router for another without going through the full network set up. This can leave devices on the network confused as to the local network environment.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Maybe you did that. It isn't clear from your message.

Message 2 of 3
Burrisplace
Aspirant

Figured this out.  When I opened up the jack and looked into the metal electrical box (gangbox) behind the jack I found that the installer had not carefully made sweeping loops with the excess cat 6 cable. When packing the excess cat 6, they just did a haphazard impetuous violent jam-job creating lots of sharp bends.  Looked like a rats nest!  Sharp bends create impedance and degrade signal.  When I first straightened out the excess and retested speeds, low and behold, speeds jumped from 60/20 to like 200/20. I carefully repacked the excess using long sweeping loops. I then closed up the box with the face plates. It now works fine!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7