Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet ports show activity, but are not allowing connection to the internet

Buczar
Tutor

Ethernet ports show activity, but are not allowing connection to the internet

Today when I connected to my docking station, I discovered I could not connect to the internet.  First assumption was a Comcast outage which is often solved by the standard turning off of the modem and router, waiting a minute and turning back on.

I discovered that while I could connect to the router's WiFi, I could connect to the internet.  I logged into the router via wifi, and indeed confirmed that the only connection method were all by wifi.  All of my extenders are connected by ethernet (so can't connect to them via WiFi and get to internet).  Laptop at my desk is connected by ethernet (well, MoCA to Ethernet), my gaming console is ethernet.  Overall, about 17-ethernet connections throughout my network.  None of them are working.

Everything I Google around 'router WiFi working but Ethernet not' tries to trouble shoot the computer connecting.  In my case, it seems everything 'can' connect to the router, but it can no longer reach the internet.  I'm not sure if something is up with my LAN settings, DHCP, etc.  Nothing has changed that I know of since yesterday.

No idea where to go from here to triage.  I'm using a Netgear R9000 x10.

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Ethernet ports show activity, but are not allowing connection to the internet

What firmware is on the r9000?

what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Are any devices connected directly to the router or are they running through switches/moca adapters?

Message 2 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Ethernet ports show activity, but are not allowing connection to the internet

Message 3 of 9
Buczar
Tutor

Thank you for the response!

What firmware is on the r9000?

v1.0.5.40

what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Arris Surfboard with phone. 

Are any devices connected directly to the router or are they running through switches/moca adapters?

All of the above actually.  2 direct runs, one to a moca, one to a switch.

also, whats it showing on the wan port statistics. 

Here is the full table:

PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WAN1000M/Full7905307222882610308364792401:00:53:17
SFP+Link Down0000000:00:00
LAN 11000M/Full220161668511705802142301:00:14:52
LAN 21000M/Full01:00:14:52
LAN 3Link Down00:00:00
LAN 41000M/Full01:00:14:52
LAN 5Link Down00:00:00
LAN 6100M/Full01:00:14:52
2.4G WLAN b/g/n800M593412710571299015000765701:00:14:35
5G WLAN a/n/ac1733M222125708989667023774144401:00:14:31
WLAN adLink down0000000:00:00

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

Thats interesting that they're showing connected but no data packets transferring. 

Did you try factory resetting and reinstalling? 
You could also try reinstalling the firmware then doing the factory reset (or start with that first). 

IF something is corrupt in firmware, the firmware reinstall covers that. IF something is corrupt in the settings, the reset should cover that. 

Message 5 of 9
Buczar
Tutor

Yep, it's a new one by me for sure (ok, I'm not a guru, so there's lots of new things by me 🙂 - but in the scheme of things, seeing activity but not having connectivity seemed pretty odd).

And so . . . yesterday morning when I went to get to doing a full reset . . . it was all working.

Which is about as perplexing since these things usually don't fix themselves.  I'm of course going to monitor it the next few days and likely going to do the full system reset just to be sure.  My best guess is that there was some type of conflict in the assigning of IP addresses.  Something in the DHCP setup?  Maybe caused by a rapid on/off of the router (I have been having some power fluctuation problems).

I want to assume 'user error' or the like as well.  Maybe time will tell.

Thanks for the assist.

Message 6 of 9
Buczar
Tutor

I'm relatively confident I sorted this out:  my electronics closet was reconfigured when we put solar in.  Equipment was added (a converter and other stuff) and the router was moved 'higher' in the closet.  Odds are . . . the router was overheating.  Tested this a bit by turning the router off when it stopped working to let it cool.  Sure enough, if set for 20-minutes, all worked normal when rebooted.

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

Ahhh heat, the old enemy of electronics. A good way to fry a device. i'm impressed the wifi worked if it was hot enough the ethernet connections weren't working

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try adding a laptop cooler under the router for 24/7 cooling. 

@Buczar wrote:

I'm relatively confident I sorted this out:  my electronics closet was reconfigured when we put solar in.  Equipment was added (a converter and other stuff) and the router was moved 'higher' in the closet.  Odds are . . . the router was overheating.  Tested this a bit by turning the router off when it stopped working to let it cool.  Sure enough, if set for 20-minutes, all worked normal when rebooted.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7