Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Everytime I enable Smart Connect on my R8000, latest firmware, yes, with the same key

jpldavidson
Aspirant

Everytime I enable Smart Connect on my R8000, latest firmware, yes, with the same key

Everytime I enable smart connect the wifi stops connectiong. I guess I'm doing something wrong and anyone who knows what, I'd much appreciate some pointers as thats part of the reason I bought this router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
yddtime
Luminary

Re: Everytime I enable Smart Connect on my R8000, latest firmware, yes, with the same key

Smart connect creates more problems than it solves. I turn it off on every router I've ever owned. Part of the problem is that every client device behaves differently. Unless you only have a few types of devices that just happens to be compatible there will always be issues.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
yddtime
Luminary

Smart connect creates more problems than it solves. I turn it off on every router I've ever owned. Part of the problem is that every client device behaves differently. Unless you only have a few types of devices that just happens to be compatible there will always be issues.
Message 2 of 3
IrvSp
Master

SC works fine. Never had a problem with it on the R7000 and R8000 other than that I did NOT like the way it handled devices. NG uses LOAD LEVELING, basically it will evenly spread devices vs. what they should be connected to if that would create an imbalance on the SSID's.

Your problem is most likely that you didn't understand what happens when you enable SC. When you enable SC all 2 (or 3) SSID's are set to the 2.4Ghz SSID and Password. Individual devices that had been configured to connect to the 5Ghz band(s) will no longer be able to connect. You have to forget those connections and make new ones to the single SSID the router puts out.

You never fully explained the problem, what did and/or didn't connect? You R8000 f/w version as this makes a BIG difference as well. The older V1.0.4.18 (I think that was the number) only handled the 2 5Ghz bands under SC, while V1.0.4.26 and later handled all 3 router bands.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7