• 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Express VPN on Nighthawk ac2400

I just contacted Express VPN.  They do not have specific steps for the AC2400 router.  Can I use the same firmware that they have for the R7000?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Express VPN on Nighthawk ac2400

@Nytflyt wrote:

Can I use the same firmware that they have for the R7000?

Very unlikely, firmware images are not portable to other models/platforms.

Message 2 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, Shumaku - 

Any ideas on how to incporporate Express VPN into my AC2400?  Can I do it manually or should I just leave it and go through each device that is on my network?

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 13
Highlighted

What is this AC2400? The model number.

AC2400 is not a Netgear model number. It is a label that Netgear, and others, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 13
Highlighted
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

What is this AC2400? The model number. AC2400 is not a Netgear model number. It is a label that Netgear, and others, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Of course it is ... https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/AC2400.aspx 

It's even correctly tagged, and showing up as "Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router".

Message 5 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

I appreciate the response, @michaelkenward .  The netgear community website would suggest that you're mistaken since I am able to choose the "nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router" from the model drop down menu.  Also, on the bottom of the router it give me the serial number, the MAC as well as the model number.  It has written "model : ac2400" printed on the label.  i am not saying you are incorrect, but in order to get to the bottom of my issue, the model number would be appropriate to find.  If AC2400 is not the model number, do you have any other suggestions on how I may find it?  Thanks again for  your reply.

Message 6 of 13
Highlighted

I forgot that Netgear has suddenly broken its own rules about confusing model numbers with wifi speeds.

But even AC2400 is confusing. The XR450 router is also AC2400.

Other "AC" devices include Mobile Hotspots.

Designed to baffle everyone.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 13
Highlighted

There is support for the AC2400 at the end of this link:

>>>AC2400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

Also search the forum for ExpressVPN. (Note the spelling)

Search - NETGEAR Communities – ExpressVPN

Just another user.

Message 8 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

@michaelkenward fantastic, thank you.  I'll check that link out as well as the ExpressVPN (correct spelling lol) forum.  Have a great day.

Message 9 of 13
Highlighted
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Also search the forum for ExpressVPN. (Note the spelling)

Waste of time - almost everything you find there is either wrong or misleading. Most of the Netgear routers don't have a VPN client configuration option (except of the XR models with the Hybrid VPN where a OpenVPN custom config can be imported), but technically they would have everything on board required to also establish an OpenVPN connection (ExpressVPN _is_ OpenVPN based - another false information in the community) but it's not part of Netgear's 1990 router design.

Message 10 of 13
Highlighted
Prodigy

The R7800, RAX120 and maybe a few others support VPN client option but only one you can use is PureVPN (it is slow and junk and if you read TOS you will see their privacy issues). Only models that allow third party VPN profiles like Express VPN , Nord VPN etc are the XR series as shumaku mentioned. 

I really dont get why say a $499 router like the RAX 120 comes with PureVPN which is one of the slowest, while high end options like ExpressVPN with a good privacy policy that are actually fast are left out. At least they should add the ability to add our own profiles.

Message 11 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks, @avtella, for your response.

It's good to get some educated info from you guys on these issues.  I'm stuck with this router for the next couple of years, but I'll be doing more research on my options moving forward.

Is there a model that you guys feel is the best?

Message 12 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

@avtella wrote:

The R7800, RAX120 and maybe a few others support VPN client option but only one you can use is PureVPN (it is slow and junk and if you read TOS you will see their privacy issues). Only models that allow third party VPN profiles like Express VPN , Nord VPN etc are the XR series as shumaku mentioned. 

I really dont get why say a $499 router like the RAX 120 comes with PureVPN which is one of the slowest, while high end options like ExpressVPN with a good privacy policy that are actually fast are left out. At least they should add the ability to add our own profiles.

I ike your opinion

Message 13 of 13