Extended Journaling on Seagate USB4 Drive

rprichard
Aspirant

Extended Journaling on Seagate USB4 Drive

I purchased a Seagate BackupPlus for Mac 4T drive that is formatted with Extended Journaling and a GUID Partition.. If I directly connect it to my iMac It works fine..However, if I plug it in to the R7000 it works fine if I just "read" from it...If I make any change that modifies any files It corrupts the drive and when I plug it back into the iMac USB port shows it as corrupt and tells me to reformat it...

The Seagate Backup Plus is on the "Approved" list but not the Seagate Plus for Mac..Has anyone heard of problems with a drive formatted for EJournaling?

I have a trouble ticket into Netgear and waiting for a response.. I can't keep transferring 500G of data TWICE and reformat every time the drive gets corrupted..

Thanks in advance for any guidance..

R. Prichard
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Extended Journaling on Seagate USB4 Drive

You need to read throughout the forum but partition is one of your issues. Using mac partition is an issues.

Also look at netgear.com/reahshare if you are using time machine with it
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 7
rprichard
Aspirant

Thanks,,,That was my assumption...I believe the only difference between the regular Seagate BackupPlus and the SB+ for Mac is the formatting...My gut is since I need to store files larger than 4G, I should just reformat it as exFat..That will most likely turn the USB drive into the non "for Mac" equivalent... I'll check with Seagate to verify what the non "for Mac" formatting is. R. Prichard
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

This not seagate matter. More on Reashare requirement for partition when used with router's feature.

I would personally invest in NAS rather USB connecting to router. Usually lower performance overall anyway. Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 7
rprichard
Aspirant

I already have a NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS DUO) but it has a 2T drive limitation...I wanted to move all my Video's off to the R7000 for streaming via iTunes... Is the issue the Partition Type, or the Ext Journaling format?

The drive really doesn't need to be access from my Win 7 system only my iMac and Macbook Air that I stream to my appleTV.

I can reformat the drive in either NTFS and use Seagates NTFS driver for Read/Write access, or use exFAT as both will support files over 4G..My question is which format should I use that the R7000 will support?

R. Prichard
Message 5 of 7
rprichard
Aspirant

Still no resolution to this issue,,,The GUID and Extended Journaled format is supported as per the R7000 User manual...at Netgear's request i down-rev'd to the previous firmware and that wouldn't even recognize the drive. I've tried this with two different USB drives and all suffer similar problems... There is definitely a difference in behavior between the current 194 and the previous 164? firmware..

The most bizarre of which is that after I reformat either drive, eject it and move t to the R7000, I get two drives showing on the R7000, one is a FAT partition (299M) and the other the remainder of the 4T drive..

If I reformat with NTFS (r/w supported on mavericks) i seem to get slightly better stability,,but not much)..

In trying to do a large copy to my R7000 mounted drive from my Netgear ReadyNAS drive, the R7000 drive will unmount and fail the copy...Sometimes I need to reboot the router to get things going again..

Very bizarre behavior! Waiting for "next steps" from Netgear support..Love the wireless, hate the USB interface!
Message 6 of 7
rprichard
Aspirant

At this point,,,the HDD drive formats that I've been using/testing against are supported by the R7000 (GUID Partition with Extended Journal and NTFS) as per the R7000 USER MANUAL. I have spent over 10 hours testing different permutations/combinations of user scenarios with two different USB drives, a Seagate 4T USB3 and a .5T USB2. All yield corruption issues.. I've provided detailed test procedures and results, but in the last week, all I'm getting back from Netgear is "...my information will provided to the engineer working on the problem.."... At this point Netgear's response is getting stale! Based on Netgear, they've esculated the issue "up" because of the complexity but despite my offers to help, I am getting no suggestions on what they would like me to test. I've asked about diagnostic modes so I can see more of what is going but no response.. I'm starting to get pissed...If it wasn't for the fact that I have a BS & MS in comp science and over 40 years of both application and embedded development I'll probably sit quietly and accept the silence. My next call will not be to Netgear customer support, but to the corporate offices. R. Prichard
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements