Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender for AX2700 WiFi Cable Modem Router (CAX30 - CAX30S)

dlevans59
Aspirant

Extender for AX2700 WiFi Cable Modem Router (CAX30 - CAX30S)

Noob here.  Please be gentle.  😉

I am currently running Verizon FIOS (TV, Internet, Phone) with their Quantum Router (G1100).  Until about 24 hours ago I was using a Netgear EX3700 to extend the WiFi to our family room.  The EX3700 has wet the bed and it will no longer extend 5G.  I worked with Netgear Tech Supt ("Hari"", and he was unable to resolve the issue.  He proposed passing me to paid support ($100), I declined his offer..

Conveniently, on Friday morning Comcast will be here to install new Internet (only - cutting the cable cord) service.  I've asked them to install their modem/router to ensure coverage and no buffering.  After a few days I will pull their modem/router and install the Netgear CAX30 that I have already purchased at Costco.  Since the EX3700 is dead, I might need to buy an extender to pair with the CAX30.  What is the recommended extender to pair with a CAX30?

Thanks,

Dennis

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Extender for AX2700 WiFi Cable Modem Router (CAX30 - CAX30S)

The EAX15 option would work. 

Not the fastest option as you said but it should cover your needs. 

I'd still check into a renewed RBK752 on amazon plus a basic modem like the Netgear CM1000 / CM1100 or the Arris SB8200. 

Its a little more investment (if you can return the CAX) but its beneficial to have the modem seperate from the router. When they're combined units, the ISP controls the firmware as well as if one side (modem vs router) goes bad, you have to replace the whole unit. Plus if you want to upgrade/change anything, you're locked in. 

But thats up to you which route you go. 

Either would work for your setup

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If it was me? I'd skip using an extender. 

I'd return the CAX30 and go with your own modem (or xfinity's) and an RBK752 kit. They're pretty cheap renewed on amazon right now. 

You'll have better coverage/throughput/roaming than you would with the CAX and an extender. 

Message 2 of 4
dlevans59
Aspirant

Thank you for your quick response.

As much as I like the Orbi line, the cost to buy a modem and the Orbi setup is probably going to be $400-500.

I was thinking about pairing a Netgear WiiFi 6 Mesh Range Extender (EAX12 or EAX15) with the CAX30.  My wife and I are retired and we are not online gamers.  The network will support 2 smart TVs, 2 mobile phones, 1 tablet, 1 watch, 1 laptop, 1 desktop, 1 printer, 1 thermostat, 1 garage door, and seasonally 4 smart sockets for holiday lights.  As such I feel that we will consume well under 400 Mbps, probably under 200 Mbps.

You guys are smarter than I am and have immensely more knowledge of WiFi and Netgear solutions.  I am trying to balance cost vs. needs, I suspect that I need the Family Truckster vs.a Ferrrari. I like the Mesh concept to eliminate the multiple SSID's that I am dealing with today.  If I am reading the Netgear docs on EAX12/EAX15 correctly, I can have a single SSID.

Dennis

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

The EAX15 option would work. 

Not the fastest option as you said but it should cover your needs. 

I'd still check into a renewed RBK752 on amazon plus a basic modem like the Netgear CM1000 / CM1100 or the Arris SB8200. 

Its a little more investment (if you can return the CAX) but its beneficial to have the modem seperate from the router. When they're combined units, the ISP controls the firmware as well as if one side (modem vs router) goes bad, you have to replace the whole unit. Plus if you want to upgrade/change anything, you're locked in. 

But thats up to you which route you go. 

Either would work for your setup

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7