Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending Wifi into external garage - help?

Ant30
Aspirant

Extending Wifi into external garage - help?

Hello all.

Wondering if someone can help. I have a R800P in my property which in the house has amazing signal strength. We’ve just had our external garage converted (around 5m from the house) and we’re struggling to get any wifi signal outside. I purchased a EX7500 and placed it just beside the back door however it is not extending the signal in any way.

Given the current tech we have in the property can anyone suggest anything else I can purchase to extend into the garage? I’ve got a PS5 and TV and iMac in there as it’s my office/chill room so need a decent signal.

Thanks very much!
Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Extending Wifi into external garage - help?

Any chance of getting a CAT6A lan cable from the house to the garage? This would be preferred. Then you can have a hard wired connection to the garage, then place a 5 port Gb LAN switch in the garage and then connect a wireless AP like a EX7700 in AP mode in the garage that connects wired to the house that would provide wifi coverage in the garage area. 

Message 2 of 7
Ant30
Aspirant

Thanks for your suggestion buddy. I have thought about this but would mean either digging up the garden (my garden is higher level than the garage) or going out of the roof down drainpipes digging up the perimeter etc. The garage is on the same electricity supply, are those plugs you can get any good?
Message 3 of 7
Kitsap
Master

The proper term is powerline ethernet adapter.  Search for that on Amazon and you will get plenty of results with ratings and answered questions.

Some are ethernet in and ethernet out, others are ethernet in with ethernet plus wi-fi out.  Many applications are very successful.  Occasionally they don't succeed for the situation where they are applied.  Your application seems ideal.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If the garage is on the same power circuit, the power line adapters would be another suggestion and would work.

@Ant30 wrote:
Thanks for your suggestion buddy. I have thought about this but would mean either digging up the garden (my garden is higher level than the garage) or going out of the roof down drainpipes digging up the perimeter etc. The garage is on the same electricity supply, are those plugs you can get any good?

Message 5 of 7
Ant30
Aspirant

Thanks all. Bought some power line adapters, got home and realised the netgear nighthawk extender I have doesn’t have a Ethernet input! Can someone recommend a decent wifi extender to plug into the power line adapter ?
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

EX7700, EX8000 or a EAX80 if you want some AX wifi mode support. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7