Extending Wifi to other Nighthawks

PROSKIER871
Aspirant

Extending Wifi to other Nighthawks

I currently have 3 Netgear Nighthawks, R7800-100NAS, AC2400-100NAS, and R7000.

The R7800 is connected to my Modem and is connected to my other Ethernet devices utilizing CAT6 cable. The WiFi is working great and fast. I needed another Wifi adapter due to blackout spots and installed via CAT6 Ethernet the AC2400-100NAS, I assigned it it's own SSID and passphrase for both 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz (the 2.4 is running very slow compared to the 5Ghz). I would like to get WiFi signal at the back of my property and would like to connect my R7000 (AC1900) as a access point repeater or bridge from my barn to the AC2400 if possible. I have attempted to configure as a repeater and it is not working. Is there a way to either use the same SSID and Passphrases on all WiFi modules to give smoother transitions or should I setup (like I used to with other access points) configure with different SSID names? I used to have 6 different SSID names on my network. Not sure what would be the best setup or how to configure a Bridge or Repeater on these NightHawks. All units are up to date with Firmware.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Extending Wifi to other Nighthawks

Hello ProSkier871

You will want to check out page 142 in the user manual 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
PROSKIER871
Aspirant

Darren,

Thanks, Will give it a try and see if it will work.  Will the "Base" unit still be able to be used as a access point also?  

Message 3 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

yes you will be able to use the wifi on both units 

Message 4 of 5
JoseAndres041
Luminary

Check this article on how to configure your nighthawk as a wireless repeater. If your router's user interface does not have this option then you can't use it a wireless repeater. I know R7000 does but I don't think your other routers do.

https://kb.netgear.com/24108/How-do-I-configure-my-Nighthawk-router-as-a-wireless-repeater

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E