Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending Wireless Range

cgbricker
Aspirant

Extending Wireless Range

I have a Nighthawk AC1900, Smart WiFi Router, providing WiFi to my entire household without difficulty except for the one connection outside in my hobby shop.  It's approximately 100 meters from the Router. Signal strength is weak because there is no “line of sight”. The signal passes through the back wall of the house where inside the router sets on a shelf and then through the shed wall at the hobby shop where the laptop receives it. Both walls are typical suburban home style construction; made up of insulated wood frame with sheeting and vinyl siding on the exterior. Also, there are a deck railing and floor, a few bushes and some thick shrubbery and tree limbs between signal source and receiver.  The signal received within the hobby shop ranges from good on some days to non-existent on others; usually ranging from 2 bars to none throughout the day. I know I can significantly improve the WiFi reception by installing an EX7000 Range Extender; but what I would like to know is whether I can get by with a simple antenna to improve the laptop’s reception; such as, the NetGear AC1200 Wi-Fi USB Adapter High Gain Dual Band USB 3.0 antenna, or even cheaper with a simple Panda 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter High Gain Antenna. All I want to do is improve my laptop’s reception of the WiFi so I can use the web within my hobby shop.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Extending Wireless Range

Hi @cgbricker,

Welcome to Community!

The problem is the coverage of the router wherein it can no longer reach the area you wanted to have  a signal. You may try to purchase an adapter but that might have slight improvement or to have the same problem. The best way is to set up an extender which can accomodate the area you want to have  a good signal strength.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi @cgbricker,

Welcome to Community!

The problem is the coverage of the router wherein it can no longer reach the area you wanted to have  a signal. You may try to purchase an adapter but that might have slight improvement or to have the same problem. The best way is to set up an extender which can accomodate the area you want to have  a good signal strength.

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 2 of 5
mondenath
Prodigy

Does you Hobby and router are having same power supply if so try powerline adaptor. Rest assured you get a decent througput.

Message 3 of 5
cgbricker
Aspirant

Separate power supplies through separate meters.

Message 4 of 5
mondenath
Prodigy

if it is so then only option to mount a Outdoor repeater which will take lan input from your router and  broadcast.

So ensure you have enough security setup as outdoor have very high power and long range.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA5210G-Outdoor-Wireless-directional/dp/B004PFQX7K/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7