Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending network with hard wire extension - what is best router?

Wessexman
Aspirant

Extending network with hard wire extension - what is best router?

Existing set up is Nighthawk AC3200 plus Netgear x6 AC2200 extender model EX7700. All owkrs well and great coverage in the house. now looking to put in a hardwire extension to garage (due to distance from house). We have wirelss security camera plus wired solar panel data to connect. What is best router to use for this to best go with current system? 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Extending network with hard wire extension - what is best router?

Not a router per se. A switch will add (Gigabit) Ethernet ports, a wireless access point will add WiFi coverage. I'd prefer this way instead of using a consumer router which makes a bad anything. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Not a router per se. A switch will add (Gigabit) Ethernet ports, a wireless access point will add WiFi coverage. I'd prefer this way instead of using a consumer router which makes a bad anything. 

Message 2 of 4
Wessexman
Aspirant

Thanks and sounds good. What product(s) do you recommend for this (as you can probably tell i don't know much beyond basics and easy to get the wrong thing). 

Message 3 of 4
microchip8
Master

For a switch, any unmanaged ProSafe NETGEAR one will do the job. Can't recommend an AP since I don't use them

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7