Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extending the network in my house.

fastroads
Guide

Extending the network in my house.

Hello,

I want to extend our network in the house (5000 sq ft two story)  and would like some guideance. I have looked on youtube etc. and found a few videos on extending WPS.

So the equipment: R8500, R8000, & R7000.

I have an R8500 stationed in an office at the front part of the house. The R8500 is connected to a Time Warner modem (the modem is set to bridge mode). I have an R8000 that I want to station upstairs in the gameroom - no ethernet wall port available. I have a R7000 I want to setup in a home theater and an ethernet port is available at that location.

It is important to maintain security through the devices.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

@fastroads wrote:

Thanks for the link. It really helped out with settings ext. on both R7000 & R8000. So not to change too many directions here: To extend wireless coverage in the house with the help of the R8000; knowing I do not have a ethernet connection at the location where the R8000 would be sitting and I would like to have the XBox and PS4 connected to the R8000 in some way either wireless or wired. What would be the best setup: AP Mode, Repeater?

AP Mode requires a wired connection back to the router, so repeater is your own choice.  You should wire the XBox and PS4 to the R8000 in order to reduce the load on Wi-Fi.

Not sure this is a viable option for me as crawl space is limited between floors.

If I were to run a cat5/6 line to the location of the R8000; this line would have to connect to the main router via a switch or an OnQ panel.

A wired connection back to the router is ideal.  If you end up doing this, then switch from repeater mode to AP Mode.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 18

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

The hometheater is the easy one.  Use the Ethernet connection and set up a router as an Access Point.  There is an AP Mode setting under ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP that you can turn on, though if your Internet service is 400 Mbps or faster, then there is a different, better way to set it up.  The AP Mode setting is far easier.  

The gameroom is more difficult.  Netgear routers with stock firmware are terrible as range extenders because they do not support wireless security.  Fortunately for you, the R7000 and the R8000 both support 3rd party firmware which have good support.  You have to be willing take the risk of installing and learning how to use 3rd party firmware.  There is a low, but non-zero, risk of bricking your router if done improperly but the results can be gratifying.

If you only have wired clients in the gameroom, then another option is to use the R7000 as a wireless bridge (think of it as a Wi-Fi adapter for one or more Ethernet devices).  You can read about it on page 138 in the manual.  If you go this route, then the R8000 would go into the hometheater.

OTOH, if you need Wi-Fi in the gameroom but you are not interested in using 3rd party firmware to convert one of your routers to a range extender, then you'll need to buy a real range extender.

Message 2 of 18
fastroads
Guide

Alrighty then! Nothing is every easy.Smiley Frustrated I had watched a few videos and this is one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2wN4wJ2uMw

So extending the WDS is a forgone thing. Flashing the routers to a new firmware doesn't bother me since the R8000 & the R7000 are out of warranty. It certainly can't be harder than reflashing a motherboard from let's say Dell to EVGA.

Where can I find the firmware?  I you have any more idea's please post.

Thank's again!

Message 3 of 18
TheEther
Guru

Netgear's implementation of WDS on their routers is very poor.  Forgoing it is the correct choice.

I use Asuswrt-Merlin on my R7000.  I am very happy with it.  You will have to search the forums on dd-wrt.com for the recommended version.  TomatoAdvancedTomato and OpenWRT.  You should be able to find R8000 images for some of them.

Message 4 of 18
fastroads
Guide

Thanks so much.

Message 5 of 18

Extending a network in a house with many rooms is where Powerline technology comes into its own, especially of there are nooks and crannies beyond the reach of wifi, or thick walls.

I use it to connect my smart BluRay player to the outside world.

Message 6 of 18

I'll drill some holes between walls and stories and put eth cables.

http://www.blackanddecker.com/en-us/products/power-tools/portable-power-tools/drills/7-amp-12-in-dri...

Sorry for being old fashioned but always go for the cable!

Message 7 of 18
fastroads
Guide

Re: Extending the network in my house.- Update

Just an update: I flashed the R7000 to Asuswrt-Merlin v380.59. Everything seems to be ok. The interesting option this firmware gives is a "Media Mode". Has anyone used this mode over the AP and if so what are the results.

Next will be the R8000 to the DD-WRT

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 18
TheEther
Guru

Did you mean "media bridge" mode? If so, it's equivalent to Netgear's wireless bridge mode. When enabled, the R7000 supports only wired clients. Wi-Fi is exclusively used to connect back to the main router.
Message 9 of 18
fastroads
Guide

Yes Media Bridge Mode. I like this setup because of the security options not available in AP mode.

Message 10 of 18
fastroads
Guide

I flashed the R8000 to DD-WRT. So far everything works. What a different user interface!

Message 11 of 18
TheEther
Guru

What security options are not available in AP mode?

AP mode requires a wired connection back to the router. Unless you can do that, AP mode is not what you want to use.

The choice should be between repeater mode and media bridge mode. The main difference is that the former mode supports both wired and wireless clients, albeit at some cost to speed because Wi-Fi needs to split its duties between servicing clients and communicating with the router.
Message 12 of 18
fastroads
Guide

Maybe I miss read. I thought I had read that in AP Mode security options were disabled. The Media Bridge Mode seems to work pretty well. My ROKU and Blueray player connnected easy. Seems to be faster; we will see.

As for the R8000, the DD-WRT firmware is consideralby different. I didn't have time to play in the options last night. So over the next few days I will try and set this up as well.

I really want it to be another bridge for the gameroom. Not sure if this is an option with the DD-WRT firmware or if the Tomato by Shibby is the better way to go.

Message 13 of 18
TheEther
Guru

Where did you read that security options are disabled in AP Mode?  It would be highly unlikely for this to be true.

Anyway, it all boils down to whether you want the R7000 to handle wireless devices in addition to your Roku and Blu-ray player.  If the answer is yes, then use AP Mode.  Otherwise, stick with media bridge mode.

DD-WRT is the Swiss Army knife of 3rd party firmware.  It can definitely be set up in bridge mode, but it's not as straightforward.  Tomato or Shibby will likely be much easier to set up.

Message 14 of 18
fastroads
Guide

So in the theater room; all of my sources can connect via ethernet cable or wireless. Any suggestions for the R8000? Does any of the firmware have a Media Bridge Mode option?

Thanks

Message 15 of 18
TheEther
Guru

Message 16 of 18
fastroads
Guide

Thanks for the link. It really helped out with settings ext. on both R7000 & R8000. So not to change too many directions here: To extend wireless coverage in the house with the help of the R8000; knowing I do not have a ethernet connection at the location where the R8000 would be sitting and I would like to have the XBox and PS4 connected to the R8000 in some way either wireless or wired. What would be the best setup: AP Mode, Repeater?

Not sure this is a viable option for me as crawl space is limited between floors.

If I were to run a cat5/6 line to the location of the R8000; this line would have to connect to the main router via a switch or an OnQ panel.

Thanks again

Message 17 of 18
TheEther
Guru

@fastroads wrote:

AP Mode requires a wired connection back to the router, so repeater is your own choice.  You should wire the XBox and PS4 to the R8000 in order to reduce the load on Wi-Fi.

A wired connection back to the router is ideal.  If you end up doing this, then switch from repeater mode to AP Mode.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7