Davidm123
Aspirant

Extending vifi Rainge DGN2200v4

hI I HAVE GOT A DGN2200v4 Router and wondered how i can get a better wifi spred in my house as we have a 2 story house and its up on the topfloor as thats where our only active telephone socket is but when down stairs we do get a signal ok but at times its low and the odd once or twice it can drop and then if i move a tiny bit it comes back. i have a laptop and tablet and in one of our rooms the laptop is ok but low on the signal and my tablet wont pick up a stable signal. hope someone can help Thank you David 

Model: DGN2200v4|N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Re: Extending vifi Rainge DGN2200v4

There are 3 main options.

1. Replace your router with something with more powerful Wi-Fi.
  2. Install an Access Point wired via Ethernet or Powerline to your router.
  3. Install a wireless range extender.

Option 3 is the most flexible and popular but also the least efficient in terms of performance.  The other options are generally preferred.  What you choose will depend on your budget, the Wi-Fi capabilities of your devices, the speed of your Internet service and how much effort you want to put into it.

Message 2 of 4
Davidm123
Aspirant

what is a Access Point

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

A Wi-Fi Access Point (WAP but often abbreviated as AP) is a network device that allows other devices to connect to a network.  Technically, APs are built into Wi-Fi routers and range extenders, but Netgear and this forum tend to use the term to refer to ones that are wired to the network.  Many range extenders can function as APs when they are wired to the network.  When a range extender is not wired to the network, it is considered a repeater or wireless bridge.  As mentioned before, all routers have built-in APs, but they can function solely as APs by disabling their routing, firewall and NAT functions.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements