Re: External Hard Drive Issue

AceClark
Aspirant

External Hard Drive Issue

I have upgraded from an older ASUS router to this model.  I had hoped I can just plug the hard drives in the USB ports and be done with it. But that stupid Readyshare names the drives their own names and seems their own "format" or a firm of translation of the drives. I have the current bios and my drives are a laptop sata drive with a plain USB to Sata cable( set this way for testing purposes until everything is fully functional.  My other drive is in an enclosure and USB 3.0 as is the other drive.   Do the drives have to be formatted a certain way as I haven't found anything that say it has to be.

Thanks!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
IrvSp
Master

@AceClark wrote:

I have upgraded from an older ASUS router to this model.  I had hoped I can just plug the hard drives in the USB ports and be done with it.

I've done eactly that with no problem? What was/is the SHARE NAME on the ASUS and NG routers? They can be different, but the names under the Shares should be the same.

@AceClark wrote:

I had hoped I can just plug the hard drives in the USB ports and be done with it.

Yes, it should work that way.

@AceClark wrote:

But that stupid Readyshare names the drives their own names and seems their own "format" or a firm of translation of the drives.

It is the NAME of the SHARE.. and you can name it whatever you wish. There is a "Network/Device Name :" on the USB READYSHARE page that does this for you and DEFAULTS to READYSHARE.

As for format, there are some restrictions, but most common ones can be used? What is the format of the drives in question? See https://kb.netgear.com/24059/What-are-the-USB-drive-requirements-for-my-Nighthawk-router for those formats. Also see https://kb.netgear.com/18985/Will-my-USB-drive-work-with-ReadySHARE for the KNOWN TESTED USB drives for routers, but many more might work, just not tested by NG.

@AceClark wrote:

I have the current bios and my drives are a laptop sata drive with a plain USB to Sata cable( set this way for testing purposes until everything is fully functional.  My other drive is in an enclosure and USB 3.0 as is the other drive.  

So you have a drive somehow attached to the USB port(s)? Are they self powered? What size? Drives must be a SINGLE partition as well.

More info would help, as well as what you are trying to do, any errors you get back, and anything else that would help?

@AceClark wrote:

Do the drives have to be formatted a certain way as I haven't found anything that say it has to be.

Single partition it seems might not be, but disk format is, see above.

Message 2 of 4
AceClark
Aspirant

Is therre anyway to bypass that stupid Readyshare?  Its too damn slow.. From what I gather, it routes to Netgear and then to your destination wiether its the USB hard drive or your computer. Is this true?  Thats very inefficent.   

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 4
IrvSp
Master

Not totally sure what you mean?

" it routes to Netgear and then to your destination wiether its the USB hard drive or your computer. Is this true?"

First question, HOW are you accessing whatever it is that you are?

Do you mean from your computer to some resource on the LAN?

What is throwing me is " it routes to Netgear" and "your destination wiether its the USB hard drive or your computer"?

I don't know what "it" is? If "it" is on your computer, it never leaves your computer? If it is NOT on your computer, you can't get to it unless you 'go to' the router and sent to the resource.

Not sure about this statement either, "Is therre anyway to bypass that stupid Readyshare"?

Do you mean the program? Again, what are you trying to do?

If all you want to do is write, delete, or, read a file on the router attached USB drive, not a problem, use Windows sharing.

For instance from a CMD prompt use NATIVE WINDOWS commands:

=======

C:\>net view
Server                           Name Remark

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\IRV8700                  Irv's 8700
\\READYSHARE     readyshare
The command completed successfully.

C:\>net view \\readyshare
Shared resources at \\readyshare

readyshare

Share name                ype     Used as Comment

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movies                          Disk    read:all-no password;write:all-no password
USB_2.0_Storage    Disk   read:admin;write:admin

C:\>net use z: \\readyshare\usb_2.0_storage

C:\>dir z:
Volume in drive Z is USB_2.0_Storage
Volume Serial Number is 6F06-9E72

Directory of Z:\

03/16/2018 02:25 PM <DIR> $RECYCLE.BIN
01/31/2019 09:01 AM <DIR> .
01/01/2015 01:00 AM <DIR> ..
12/25/2017 12:10 PM <DIR> A
11/10/2016 08:23 AM 5,453,003 A-US.pdf

'

'

'

01/14/2016 11:47 AM <DIR> VP
      6 File(s) 58,157,740 bytes
      9 Dir(s) 1,208,284,282,880 bytes free

===================

Now you can assess the USB drive via Z:, but you will STILL go through the router. Can do the same thing using Windows Explorer on the NETWORK and RMB'ing on the SHARE and mapping it as a NETWORK DRIVE.

If I misunderstood, just what is the problem and what are you trying to accomplish?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E