Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: External harddrive

jfausmith
Aspirant

External harddrive

I have an external harddrive that I had used on my previous router that will not work on my R7900P router.  When I looked at the list of external harddrives that worked with my router I googled most of them and cannot find very many of them.  The ones I did find cost just a little too much.  I really did  like having the HD connected to my router so that everyone in the house could use it and we could share data.

Here is the HD information:   WDBGPU0010BBY-0B  which is a 1TB drive.

If you know if there is a way to get this to work let me know.

Also, if you have a suggesstion of other drives that would work let me know as well.

Thanks,

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

@jfausmith wrote:

I have an external harddrive that I had used on my previous router that will not work on my R7900P router. 

What have you done to get it to work?

This list will give you some clues, although it is far from comprehensive:

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 4
jfausmith
Aspirant

The router I used before was a Linksys WRT1200AC and all I had to do was plug it into the router and then is showed up on my network.  Everyone in the family could use the harddrive to backup their data.

When I purchased the Netgear R7900P router I plugged the harddrive (WD My Passport Ultra WDBGPU0010BBY-0B) but I could not find the harddrive.  I did go to the link you gave me and did not see the harddrive listed there.  I also contacted the Netgear tech support and I was told that my harddrive would not work with the router I have. 

I really want a harddrive connected to my network so I went back to the link and did a search for every harddrive that was listed that would work with my router and I could not find any of them available.  Most of them are not available anymore and the rest of them didn't have the same numbers that were listed so I am guessing that they will not work either.

What can I do?  Could it be the way the harddrive was formated?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4

@jfausmith wrote:

I did go to the link you gave me and did not see the harddrive listed there.  I also contacted the Netgear tech support and I was told that my harddrive would not work with the router I have. 

I woudn't trust either of those. That database is pathetically thin on details and support people probably read that for their "advice".

WD My Passport drives are hardly exotic. I have used them with ReadySHARE. And 1TB is well within the limits.

@jfausmith wrote:

Could it be the way the harddrive was formated?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Could be. But first you should read up on how to set up ReadySHARE on your router. It isn't a simple plug and play operation.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

Begin with the Quick Start/Installation Guide.

Check the section in the manual Share a Storage Device Attached to the Router.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your messages.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7