ERO
Tutor
Tutor

Extremely Slow USB 3.0 Speeds

I have never seen such a slow USB connection. I have a brand new USB 3.0 5TB external drive and it transfers no faster that 30Mbps. It is has been formatted and diskched (no errors) and since it is new and has like 5 files on it, it is not in need of defragging. WTH?

Message 1 of 22
SqueakyEye
Guide

Re: Extremely Slow USB 3.0 Speeds

I'm having the same issue as well. I am getting 1.5 Mbps sustained speed on a 1 GB network.

Message 2 of 22
ERO
Tutor
Tutor

Since I posted this I have been digging into the forum and it seems this is a known and on-going issue that goes back 2-3 years. Netgear seems to be taking a 'it sucks to be you' approach, which is very disapointing as other that the dismal USB 1.0 speed I am getting outof my USB 3.0 port, I am very well pleased with the other features of the router.

Message 3 of 22
SqueakyEye
Guide

I concur that is what I have been seeing as well. It's unfortunate. 

Here are some firmware options I have found, but haven't personally tried them. I would lose the Netgear mobile apps on Andriod, which I do like. 

http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/screenshots.htm

- http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/&cid=wmt_netgear_...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DD-WRT_on_R7000

Also, these are the kinds of issues that would steer me away from purchasing other Netgear products, such as Arlo and ReadyNAS. 

Message 4 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How slow?

By the way, what are the model numbers of your NETGEAR devices?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 5 of 22
ERO
Tutor
Tutor

I have tried several times and it never transfers faster than 25-30 Mbps. My NetGear router is a brand new R6700

Message 6 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you tried a different USB drive? Will it be the same?

How about a thumbdrive?

If it's the same I suggest that you contact support and log a case. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 22
Dhirmadi
Aspirant

was there ever a solution to this? i am experiencing this same on a brand new R9000

Message 8 of 22
ERO
Tutor
Tutor

Sadly, it seems to be a known issue that NetGear could care less about. I quit using the USB entirely as it is unworkable at the USB 1.0 speed it offers.

Message 9 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's better to log a case with support for tracking and letting the engineering to test if it's an issue. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 22
ERO
Tutor
Tutor

I agree in theory, but there are no firmware updates for my router and in reading though the multile years worth of complaints of extremely poor USB speeds, I have not found one yet that was resolved. It seems to be more of a "feature" than a "bug."

Message 11 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Dhirmadi What speed are you getting out of your R9000? How do you test the connection? From wired or wireless computer? 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 12 of 22
Dhirmadi
Aspirant

Transferring a 5gb file took 55 minutes.
Message 13 of 22
ERO
Tutor
Tutor

I have a new external USB 3 SSD, and when I connect it directly to my computer's USB 3 connection, it transfers files with a read speed of  125 Mbps, and a write speed of 74 Mbps. When I connect this same drive to the router USB port, it reads at 30 Mbps and writes at 26 Mbps. 

Message 14 of 22
Zap42
Aspirant

I've also posted a thread where I'm experiencing very slow upload of photos from a USB 3.0 HDD over the web to a Rcloud client on iphone 7+

i'm waiting >2 minutes to receive files < 1MB in size at 2.5Mbps and in some cases it just appears to time out.

i dk if the issue is to do w the router or w the app or with readyshare server?  Actually, I dont know what the architecture is between my router and the app.  Is there a readyshare server?  I do have to connect to an "account" to use the service so I assume so.  The bottkeneck or issue could be there.

How are you guys using your USB connected drives?  How are you detecting slow transfer rates?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 15 of 22
ERO
Tutor
Tutor

I have an external 5GB HDD. When I connect it to one of the USB 3 ports directly on my PC it transfers data at the expected USB 3 speeds. When I connect it to the USB 3 port on my router and move the same files, it performs like USB 1 at best. Its just pathetic.

Message 16 of 22
Zap42
Aspirant

But how do you detect that?  How are you using the USB/HDD?  For instance I'm using it with "readyshare" over the web to "rcloud" and experiencing very slow transfer times, far greater than my ISP upload speed should dictate or my iphone download speed.

my issue is going to be with one of the router, the readyshare service or the rcloud app.

much less likely my ISP or my iphone - like FAR less likely.

Message 17 of 22
ERO
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, USB HDD - Just watch the file transfer window and you will see the read & write speed in Mbps. (Assuming you are on a PC.) Another way to check speed is to connect your USB HDD to your computer, transfer a file of a known size and time it. Then, plug the USB HDD to the router and transfer the same file and time it. If both the router and the PC are truly running at USB 3 speed, the times should be very similar. If the speed on the router is far, far slower, then its not truly transfering data at USB 3 speed.

Message 18 of 22
Zap42
Aspirant

I assume from your answer that you must be dragging and dropping files between your PC and the USB drive on the router using windows file manager.

Thats a different scenario to mine.

in any case I'm updating my thread, theres been a change.

Message 19 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

According to our tests the R9000 max write speed ranges any where from 60 to 110 MB/s and max read speeds range from 40 MB/s to 110MB/s it really depend on number of factors such as how the file is being written/read, what method of transfer and what type of file system was used.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 20 of 22
ERO
Tutor
Tutor

I have an R6700 and it is nowhere near that fast. Perhaps the R9000 has greater capabilities in terms of USB speeds?

Message 21 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@ERO wrote:

Perhaps the R9000 has greater capabilities in terms of USB speeds?

Smallnetbuilder measured the R9000's storage performance with SMB at 103.7 MB/sec in their review.  That's about all you can get over a gigabit ethernet connection.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements