Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Extremely slow internet speeds when using Ethernet chord to my laptop(Netgear R7000 AC1900)

I am experiencing extremely slow download speeds when connecting my laptop to my Nighthawk router via Ethernet Cable. A speed test resulted in download speeds of 2.43 and upload speeds of 2.48.

I am receiving much faster speeds when just connected to WiFi.

When my router is connected to my modem via ethernet (bypassing the router) a speed test showed a download speed of 234.81 and upload speeds of 11.22.

I conacted my cable company and confirmed that my modem is bridged. So I am not sure why my router is not giving me faster speeds when connecting it to my laptop via an ethernet cable. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Extremely slow internet speeds when using Ethernet chord to my laptop(Netgear R7000 AC1900)

What modem are you connected to? not all modems bridge properly.

What firmware is on your router? 

CAX80->GS716v2->RBR50->RBS50-RBS40V-RBS50Y
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Extremely slow internet speeds when using Ethernet chord to my laptop(Netgear R7000 AC1900)

I am connected to a Technicolor modem, model: TC8717T

The firmware of my router is: V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

Per the Nighthawk App:

The IP address of my router is different than the IP address of my modem. 

The IP of my router starts with 192 and the External and Gateway IP of my internet port star with 104.

The Internet Port Type is listed as: DHCP

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Guru

A couple things.

1. The TC8717T is a modem router combo device. You might be in a double nat if both are running in router modem. Best to either put the TC8717T in passthrough/modem only mode or the netgear in AP (access point) mode. 

2. The R7000 isn't known for the last several generations of firmware to be the best. The agreed upon stable version is 1.0.9.42.  I'd downgrade to that version of the firmware, factory reset the R7000, and then set it back up manually (not from backup). 

Get those 2 issues taken care of and see if that resolves it. 

Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ok thank you for your advice. I am not the most technical individual. Would you mind providing specific steps as to how to accomplish what you are recommending?

For example, not sure how I would put the modem into passthrough mode, or switch the netgear into access point mode.

Also, dont know how I would downgrade the router firmware, etc. 

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted

@csheridan07 wrote:

For example, not sure how I would put the modem into passthrough mode, or switch the netgear into access point mode.

Find the manual for the router and see what is says about "bridge" mode.

tc8717t bridge mode - Google Search

I would also check that your laptop has the latest drivers for your LAN hardware.

@csheridan07 wrote:

Also, dont know how I would downgrade the router firmware, etc. 

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find the documentation, and, if there are any, firmware versions and drivers for your hardware.

The manual tells you how to manually change the firmware. The firmware release notes also explain this.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Guru

to put the modem in passthrough/modem only mode, you'd want to either contact the ISP or the manufacturer of it as they'll be best able to help you setup their device. 

to put the R7000 in AP mode follow this guide. 

https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

Keep in mind that is an either. Situation. you can't change both. Just change either the netgear or the isp device.

here's a downgrade guide

https://www.routerloginsupport.com/question/2074/how-do-i-downgrade-the-firmware-of-my-nighthawk-r70...

Message 7 of 7