Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extremely slow speeds to local devices via WiFi with XR500

Didact
Aspirant

Extremely slow speeds to local devices via WiFi with XR500

Very odd issue that I can't figure out.

The problem: Devices on WiFi get either exceedingly slow (HTTPS) or no (SSH, NFS) connections to wired devices on my local network. Both devices get perfectly fine internet speeds. Wired devices can still connect to eachother just fine. The wireless devices can connect to thhe wired devices just fine iff it's via the WAN IP / domain name. Pinging works fine, they're on the same network.

Background: I have an XR500 I've used as a router + wireless AP for a few years. A few months ago I moved, and swapped to using the XR500 as a modem + router and bought a Netgear WAC 104 as a standalone AP. The WAC 104 was dissociating clients so I'm attempting to swap back to the XR500. Problem is as above: wireless clients can't connect to wired clients. I have no idea if wired clients can connect to wireless clients, as I don't have a good way to test that. I do know that it's not a signal strength issue, as it persists even if give e.g. my phone direct LoS to the XR500. Only notable difference in my setup here from my last place was that the XR500 is now doing PPPoE stuff and VLAN tagging, but I wouldn't expact that to be coming into play here.

I've tried some of the suggestions here (changing wifi channel, disabling IPv6) but none so far have worked. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: Extremely slow speeds to local devices via WiFi with XR500

@Didact wrote:

A few months ago I moved, and swapped to using the XR500 as a modem + router and bought a Netgear WAC 104 as a standalone AP.

How do you get the XR500 to work as a modem + router? The XR500 is a router that usually sits behind an modem. 

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here, but the XR500 is a gaming router with its own DumaOS operating system, so you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Pro Gaming Routers - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 4
Didact
Aspirant

Sorry, 100% using the wrong term there. By modem I just mean it's doing the PPPoe and VLAN stuff necessary to actually connect to the WAN. I feel like there should be a term for that but maybe there isn't.

Googling more it looks like I'm duping this issue, but with a different ISP (CenturyLink in the US): https://forum.netduma.com/topic/29195-xr500-v23256-potential-wifi-isolation-issue/

Later today I'm probably going to just use the ISP's router to do the VLAN stuff and stick the XR500 behind it and see if that works.
Message 3 of 4

@Didact wrote:
Sorry, 100% using the wrong term there. By modem I just mean it's doing the PPPoe and VLAN stuff necessary to actually connect to the WAN.

Isn't there something that connects the XR500 to the Internet?

Not sure what you mean by VLAN stuff.

@Didact wrote:

Later today I'm probably going to just use the ISP's router to do the VLAN stuff and stick the XR500 behind it and see if that works.

Where did that router suddenly come from? Is it already on the network? Or something you had lying around?

Your link to Netduma explains why I suggested that you go to the Netgear area where the Netduma people hang out. They are very helpful and usually quick to intervene.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7