FTP (Locally & via Internet) Suddenly Stopped Working

ericmcgovern
Apprentice

FTP (Locally & via Internet) Suddenly Stopped Working

I was uploading a good chunk of files to the USB Drive connected to my X10 overnight and woke up to find one of the transfers "stuck". I disconnected and tried connecting again, now it just tells me "Connection Refused". I have tried playing around with a few settings, rebooting the router, etc. and it always comes back to "connection refused". This had been working perfectly for abiout a week, and suddently just won't let me in. I can see all the files via the other methods, just not FTP (which is my main file transfer method.) Anyone have any ideas?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
LeeH
Prodigy

Re: FTP (Locally & via Internet) Suddenly Stopped Working

Just wondering if you tried turning off your router for about three minutes and then turning it back on?  Maybe the FTP daemon crashed or is stuck.  A reboot should get it going again.

If you had a command line open on the router you could try ps -a | grep ftp and get the process ID and then do a kill -HUP (process ID from the previous command).  This would restart the daemon.

Message 2 of 6
ericmcgovern
Apprentice

I haven't tried turning it completely off, that would be my next step. How would I get a command line going to the router?

Message 3 of 6
LeeH
Prodigy

Not sure you can get a command line from a X10.  I used telnet about 2 1/2 years ago on my R7000.  It might be better to do a reboot anyway because there could be other processes/daemons that need a reboot/restart.  I hope this doesn't cause you a great inconvenience.

Message 4 of 6
ericmcgovern
Apprentice

Turns out it was the hard drive. Not sure what happens, but looks like if you are transmitting too many files with too many simultaneous transfers, it locks up and the hard drive becomes corrupted and requires a reformat. This is the second time this has happened, but the first time it was obvious the hard drive was corrupted - I couldn't write to it anymore. 

Not sure if it a big with the router, or the hard drive can't keep up. Both hard drives have been the portable variety (USB Powered).

Also, to telnet in, you need to go to the debug menu (debug.htm) and enable telnet. Works like a charm.

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

That would be a bug with the router.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E