Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: FYI Netgear: Guest Network not always truly disabled.

jtowntex
Guide

FYI Netgear: Guest Network not always truly disabled.

This is a random discovery about my R7000. I don't know who else might have this quirk. I don't think its a huge deal but still perhaps something Netgear would like to know about.

I use this in small office setting of less than 10 scientists and engineers. On occasion we have visitors that require guest access and for the duration of their visit I will activate our guest network. The odd bit comes when I try to disable it after the visitor has left. I uncheck the box and hit apply and everything appears to have worked. However, even though the admin page says the radio is off it is actually on. I can go to any user machine, find it in their WiFi connections, type in the key, and connect. 

If I reboot then the guest network will truly disable and it does not show up anywhere. Rebooting is not always convenient so I figured out a work around. If I disable the connection, hit apply, rename it, and then finally hit apply one more time the Guest network will truly disable without a reboot.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
doraemon
Prodigy

To see whether if it will really show the SSID that has been disabled.

If you have selected OFF then it should be OFF and should not be broadcasted. If you're saying otherwise, then that unit has a problem.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi jtowntex,

What is the firmware version of the router? Make sure it is on the latest version.

Message 2 of 11
clithes
Prodigy

Have you got a Wifi repeater / Extender in your setup?  These have been known to continue broadcasting the Guest Network even when it is not available?

Message 3 of 11
jtowntex
Guide

No repeaters.

Firmware Version
V1.0.7.6_1.1.99

I just ran another update check. I swear it found nothing yesterday but today it found updates. So I'll run these and see what happens.

PS. Spell check number 4. I did a copy paste straight from my screen.

New firmware is found. Do you want to update the firmware?
Current GUI Language Version: 1.0.7.6_2.1.38.1
New GUI Language Version: 1.0.7.10_2.1.38.1
Current Firmware Version 1.0.7.6
New Firmware Version 1.0.7.10_1.2.3
Release Notes:
1. [Bug Fix] Fix Buffer overflow when parsing usb shares access.
2. [Bug Fix] Fix buffer overflow issues in httpd web server.
3. [Bug Fix] Fix the buffer overflow of Authenticated username/password.
4. [Bug Fix] Fixe the insecure

Message 4 of 11
LeeH
Prodigy

Make sure you reset the router by pressing in the button on the back for at least 10 seconds after updating the firmware.

Message 5 of 11
jtowntex
Guide

I've never heard of doing that for updates before. The router already restarts itself. What do you suppose that would gain me? As far as I can tell that won't do anything more than a software commanded restart. 

Message 6 of 11
LeeH
Prodigy

Very often the configuration memory in the router becomes corrupt during firmware changes.  The problems you are experiencing now may have been caused by this.

It is essential that you perform a hardware reset of your router to ensure proper operation.

Highly recommend the following:

Press in the reset button on the back of the router for at least 10 seconds until the power light turns orange and starts to blink.

Log into the routers web interface and change the admin password. Go into the Advanced tab and select Setup and LAN Setup under that.  Use the +Add button at the bottom of the page to add IP reservations for all your IP addresses one by one.  Click the Apply button at the top of the page and then restart the router after you have added all of the IP addresses.

You should do the reset procedure every time you change firmware.

Never change firmware unless there is a newer firmware that corrects a problem you are experiencing or it fixes a security problem.

Message 7 of 11
jtowntex
Guide

I brought my bug to netgears attention because the problem had not been corrected by any basic troubleshooting such as a hardware reset. Since the hardware reset had no effect on this issue before the update I am dubious to its effectiveness following the update. I will try to recreate the error following this most recent change and see what happens. If the problem remains I will then try the hardware reset.

It's not a big problem. Just an oddity I thought Netgear might want to know about. You never know what the underlying implications might be. This could just be a symptom of something worse.

The rest goes with out saying. I run 30+ character randomly selected unique passwords on everything except my guest access which is disabled most of the time. 

Message 8 of 11
doraemon
Prodigy

I don't experience this with my R7000. Did you try using a wifi scanner?

Message 9 of 11
jtowntex
Guide

What new information would a WiFi scanner provide?

l'll restate the problem just for clarity. Sometimes when I turn the guest WiFI off it remains on. The admin page will say it is off but I can still find it, connect to it, and succesfully navigate to new web pages from a multitude of devices. Rebooting resolves this but the whole point was to not reboot while other users were still attached. The work around is to simply rename the guest connection as well as disabling it. Then it will truly disable with out the need for a reboot.

I will note that my R7000 at home never did this either. However, even when streaming HD to several users, my home network is never worked as hard as the one at work.

In the end it really does not matter. It was just a tiny detail I found. 

Message 10 of 11
doraemon
Prodigy

To see whether if it will really show the SSID that has been disabled.

If you have selected OFF then it should be OFF and should not be broadcasted. If you're saying otherwise, then that unit has a problem.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7