Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Factory Reset not accepting 'Password'

mhanni
Guide

Factory Reset not accepting 'Password'

Factory reset does not let me log in with "admin - password".

After a number of attempts, I am brought to a page requesting me to enter the serial number.

After entering the serial number, I am asked two security questions.

"What was the the name of the first NETGEAR product you purchased?".

I do not know the answer to this question and do not even believe that I had set this question.

How do I factory reset my router?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi mhanni,

Please wait for the power light to turn blink amber before releasing the reset button.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

@mhanni wrote:

How do I factory reset my router?

Put something in the reset hole on the back of the R8000. Do it with the router turned on.

The manual is here:

>>>>> R8000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

See page 11.

Message 2 of 6
mhanni
Guide

Sorry this wasn't spelled out in the original post: I have stuck a pin in the back and held for 30 seconds at a time. The described process doesn't seem to be taking place (the amber light won't flicker).

Message 3 of 6
mhanni
Guide

My original post had some more information but I chose to edit it because the tone was not fair (I doubt NETGEAR's engineering team reads the forums, so no need to be nasty).

The router is not hooked up to the internet - I am just using it as a LAN device. There is one laptop pluggd into port 1 with an ethernet cable.

I performed a factory reset (as I have done 100 times before before I upgraded to a different brand) - pin in the back for a good '30 MISSISSIPPI'. Attempting to log in with the combo (admin/password, both all lowercase) does not work, nor does using what I remember the last old password being.

When I attempt to log in incorrectly enough times, I am brought to a page asking for the serial number. I enter the serial number. Then I am asked the absurd question about the first NETGEAR product I purchased.

So I just want to know - does something sound off in that the reset button isn't triggering a factory reset?

Message 4 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi mhanni,

Please wait for the power light to turn blink amber before releasing the reset button.

Message 5 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi mhanni,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7