Fake email about new Firmware

Stohr
Tutor

Fake email about new Firmware

I just received a Fake email about a new Firmware release with links to click on.  I checked the Netgear Support Firmware download site and there was no Firmware Update.  Here is some of the details:

Subject: Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2018 15:55:11 -0600
MIME-Version: 1.0  

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: Fake email about new Firmware

Probably not fake. Netgear does apparently not keep track of the relation between the customer resp. the router model, and the effective firmware in place. They are sending out some regular firmware update notifications, regardless.

The SMTP from, subject, and date does not allow to proof anything.

Message 2 of 6
mcluvin
Aspirant

I got an e-mail on 10/1 telling me to update to the latest firmware 1.0.9.34 for my R7000.  I had already been on 1.0.9.34 for some time so this seemed odd.  I tried checking via the router firmware update (today) and Android app.  Both said no new firmware found.  I checked the Netgear website today.  What do you know?  There's a new firmware 1.0.9.42_10.2.44.   Something seems a bit out of sync with Netgear support.  I'd try checking again in a day or 2.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

This was just a mass email telling people to update you are fine if that is the latest firmware.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 6
Bob_W
Aspirant

I received an email on 30Dec18 from "security@e.netgear.com" saying there was new firmware available for WNDR3700v4, R6300 and R6300v2 routers.  There are links to download this firmware with the note "Latest firmware version: v1.0.4.34" for the R6300's.   The download links point to:

http://click.e.netgear.com/?.qs......................................

Something seems fishy, when going directly to Netgear's support sife for downloads, the latest version for the R6300's is 1.0.2.80.

I would be happy to forward the email to anyone intereste

Bob Williamson

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@Bob_W wrote:

I received an email on 30Dec18 from "security@e.netgear.com"

Perfect legal sender for an automated email.

@Bob_W wrote:

saying there was new firmware available for WNDR3700v4, R6300 and R6300v2 routers.  There are links to download this firmware with the note "Latest firmware version: v1.0.4.34" for the R6300's.

Have not seen that specific email, however v1.0.4.34 is current for the R6300v2, while the build for the R6300(v1) is v1.0.2.80. Probably lazy texting?

@Bob_W wrote:

The download links point to:

http://click.e.netgear.com/?.qs...................................... 

Marketing email.tracking URL, nothing fishy here, too.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements