Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: False Firmware Update Alert

TerryJColes
Luminary

False Firmware Update Alert

I have two Netgear Routers; the D7800 in this post and a  WN3000RPv3 extender.

Today I received an email with the following Headers:

To: <my correct email address>

Subject: Important Security Firmware Update from NETGEAR

However, when I checked, neither of my devices has an update available.

Is this a scam or has Netgear Security's email server thrown a wobbly?  It doesn't seem like a scam, because a bad actor or would then be expected to provide a tainted firmware image, but the email simply linked to the Howto page.

If there are updates, then I certainly want to apply them

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
TerryJColes
Luminary

I've just spotted something in the email that I had missed (the text is very small and my eyes are dim).

The attached screenshot shows the Version numbers that the updates cover.  These are the versions that I installed about a week ago so Netgear aren't pre-empting updates they're simply sending the reminders late!

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
additude
Virtuoso

Do Not Trust email for this kind of stuff....

This is a scam.

Message 2 of 13
TerryJColes
Luminary

@additude wrote:

Do Not Trust email for this kind of stuff....

This is a scam.

If it's a scam, then that is extra worrying.  How did the scammer get hold of my email address?  I have a SOHO Web and Mail server account with a major Web hosting Company and create a different email address for every company that I do business with.  If the message had been sent to one of my other addresses, then I would have know immediately that the message was a scam, because any message from Netgear would have used the address that I registered my products with.  This message used the correct address and not only that, the sender knew exactly which router products I own....

Message 3 of 13
TerryJColes
Luminary

Hmmm.  While I was mulling this over, I got a sense of deja vu, so I looked back through my earlier posts and discovered that I had exactly the same thing happen last September and I had posted an almost identical query (I am getting old you know).

On that occasion, the message was correct, but the Netgear servers weren't offering the updated firmware to the Router when the 'Check for Updates' button was pressed, even though it was on the Support Website.  This time there is no updated firmware available for either of my devices on the Support Website either, so I can only assume that updates are on the way but haven't made it to the servers yet.

So.  Netgears's mailserver throwing a wobbly is looking favourite at the moment.

Message 4 of 13
Pagliacci
Tutor

I've also just received the email alert for the X4S R7800.

It's nonsense. The firmware in the link offered is not new at all - it is v1.02.62 dating from many months ago. Incidentally, that firmware release isn't recommended. I've discovered a serious bug in it, detailed by me on this forum but nobody took any notice.

Due to more and more bugs being introduced at each release - as many as those being supposedly fixed - many people revert to previous releases like v1.02.60 and v1.02.58!

Comical isn't it? Well, more tragedy really.

I suspect Netgear's outsourced firmware contractors have left the building and turned out the lights. Senior management haven't yet realised.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 5 of 13
additude
Virtuoso

Well, your email address is part of a mine of email addresses harvested and readily available on the internet. A spammer doesn't care if you have Netgear equipment or not. The spammer knows that someone in their email broadcast will and that person will want to take action.

Even if you didn't own Netgear eqpt.. you will still receive the email....

There is other discussion of this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Scam-quot-Firmware-Update-quot-email-12-01-2...

Just like what if a spammer sent you an email that said your Wells Fargo Bank Account has been compromised and that you needed to follow the link in the email and log into your Wells Fargo Account to verify everything is OK....

If you didn't have a Wells Fargo account you'd probably ignore and delete the email.....

But if you had a Wells Fargo account.... you might click that link and try to log into your Wells Fargo account.....

Only it wouldn't be your Wells Fargo account and you would have just given the spammers your account credentials...

Just because the email says it came from Netgear...doesn't mean it has....

I can put any return address on any paper USPS mail envelope that I want.... it doesn't mean that it came from there...

Be safe.

Message 6 of 13
TerryJColes
Luminary

@additude wrote:

Well, your email address is part of a mine of email addresses harvested and readily available on the internet. A spammer doesn't care if you have Netgear equipment or not. The spammer knows that someone in their email broadcast will and that person will want to take action.

Even if you didn't own Netgear eqpt.. you will still receive the email....

I agree.  A spammer doesn't know if I have Netgear equipment and neither does he know which Netgear equipment I have,  For the spammer to pick the very two Routers that I own implies amazing luck or access to Netgear's servers....

I don't believe the amazing luck scenario and I doubt that Netgear's servers have been compromised (although it is still possible).  I'm now accepting that the message did come from Netgear and simply waiting for the updates to appear (or not, as the case may be).  Whatever the cause of this false message it's annoying and a huge wasre of time.

Message 7 of 13
microchip8
Master

I also got the mail. Looks legit to me. The links take me to the NETGEAR site

Message 8 of 13
Pagliacci
Tutor

@additude

Please give me some credit. I did check the email header line by line and traced it back to Netgear. The email was legit and not from a spammer. But that's the only good thing you can say about this debacle.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 9 of 13
antinode
Guru

> Do Not Trust email for this kind of stuff....

It's unwise to trust e-mail, if you can't distinguish genuine from
forged.  Just like paper/postal mail.

> This is a scam.

Nonsense.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1540808

Message 10 of 13
TerryJColes
Luminary

@antinode wrote:

Nonsense.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1540808

So from your link you believe that Netgear simply send this message to everyone who has registered a product with them regardless of whether the updates affect their device or not.  This despite the fact that the Subject line says:

We've Enhanced Your Product's Security.
Please Update to the Latest Firmware.

If true, they are doubly incompetent.

Message 11 of 13
TerryJColes
Luminary

I've just spotted something in the email that I had missed (the text is very small and my eyes are dim).

The attached screenshot shows the Version numbers that the updates cover.  These are the versions that I installed about a week ago so Netgear aren't pre-empting updates they're simply sending the reminders late!

Message 12 of 13
antinode
Guru

> So from your link you believe [...]

I believe that chimps could do a better job.  Whether the problem is
a data base with erroneous/obsolete data, or poor software, every time
they do one of these e-mail broadcasts, these forums get flooded with
queries from confused/panicky users and faulty "answers" from "experts".

And the content of the messages does approximately nothing to improve
the situation.

> If true, they are doubly incompetent.

Double may be an underestimate.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7