Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

False positive DoS attack from downloading via Steam

lord_danzig
Follower

False positive DoS attack from downloading via Steam

Router: Nighthawk X6 R8000

FirmwareV1.0.4.68_10.1.75

Wanted to report this bug/issue and the workaround. Hoping that Netgear can fix this or my instructions can help unblock others.

Problem: My laptop keeps getting disconnected from wifi, and then blocked from being able to connect again. Access control is disabled. Problem is caused by connecting via wifi to Nighthawk X6 R8000 and downloading a game from Steam over a high speed connection. Once download speed reaches ~40MB/s, Netgear router kicks the laptop off of the network. Laptop is completely blocked from connecting to the network via any radio point (5ghz or 2.4ghz). Hard-restarting the router allows laptop to connect again, but once laptop tries to download the game again, it is kicked off the network again.

Diagnosis:

Router logs show `[DoS attack: FIN Scan] ` record right before laptop is disconnected. DoS scan points to 104.86.248.30 which is Akamai CDN. I was able to recreate the issue a few times, each time pointed to a different IP but was identified by Google as Akamai, which is likely the CDN used for Steam games. It appears that downloading games via Steam causes traffic from Akamai, which is falsely detected as a DoS attack, and the laptop is blocked from connecting to the router completely.

Resolution:

I could not see any way to allow-list an ip range from the DoS scanner, so entire DoS scanner must be disabled (Advanced -> Setup -> WAN Setup -> Disable Port Scan and DoS protection). This results in expected behavior on the laptop, and allows laptop to maintain a connection while downloading.

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7