Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Farewell Netgear

Robertos
Luminary

Farewell Netgear

Because of ads on the admin pages I am binning my R8000 router and looking for a different make, and will never recommend netgear again,.which I always used to.

Can anyone suggest a good make and model router to buy instead

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 15

Re: Farewell Netgear

@Robertos wrote:

Because of ads on the admin pages I am binning my R8000 router ....

Ads for what?

Message 2 of 15
Robertos
Luminary

The banner ad for the app along the top and the black box which obscures a menu item on the left hand side. These appeared with the last firmware update, which I suppose was marginally better than the circle ad.  I know of no other company that puts this sort of rubbish on their settings screens. I could have just about tolerated a small message suggesting using the app.

Message 3 of 15

@Robertos wrote:

The banner ad for the app along the top .....

Is that the Nighthawk app?

And that is on the browser graphical user interface (GUI)?

Details always help when you want to beat Netgear around the head with complaints that need fixing.

Message 4 of 15
Robertos
Luminary

Yes it is an ad for the Nighthawk app and appears on the admin pages for the router.  There have been a few other threads on here complaining about them.

Message 5 of 15

Probably a firmware issue.

Nothing like that on the R7800.

@Robertos wrote:

There have been a few other threads on here complaining about them.

Can you point me at one with a screenshot?

Message 6 of 15
Robertos
Luminary

I dont have the time or inclination to search the forum for threads which have moved along several pages, but here is a screen shot of one of my admin pages, where you will see the black banner at the top and the item in the left side which partially obscures a menu item.

Message 7 of 15
Robertos
Luminary

I found one.   See  [The "Enable Smart Parental Controls on Your Router" nag ad pops up EVERY time I login] topic and you will see what I mean. This topic is now on the front page because someone else responded to it.

The screenshot in my previous post will show what is currently happening.

Message 8 of 15
schumaku
Guru

A little bit overreaction I'd say ... on the R9000/R8900 we have this (much less intrusive but space wasting - it does not slide over useful content at least) Nighthawk App adon the Basic view only - for about two years. Admit I wasn't impressed with this thing which can't be disabled, too.

Appears some changed were applied (good or bad) the Web UI - the model designation Under the netgear logo top left went but ince about the last two firmware builds, just white space now.

R9000 nighthawk app ad.PNG

Message 9 of 15
Robertos
Luminary

Perhaps I did overreact a bit.  It was just annoying that the initial circle ad was impossible to remove and then a further firmware update then produced the banner ad for the app.  It appears that there is another firmware update but I am waiting for an opportune moment when my system is quiet to do the update.  I dread to think what is going to be advertised now 🙂

Message 10 of 15
Dan32
Apprentice

I trust that those are fake/old passwords in your screenshot there.

Message 11 of 15

Good point, but they aren't much use to anybody beyond wifi range of the router.

Message 12 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@Dan32 wrote:

Of course, wonders of Web browser developer tools, nothing to worry. 8-)

Message 13 of 15

@schumaku wrote:

@Dan32 wrote:

Of course, wonders of Web browser developer tools, nothing to worry. 8-)

FAKE NEWS

Message 14 of 15
Robertos
Luminary

I have just installed the latest firmware update and thankfully the 'ad' in the advanced settings left column has gone.  it is still there in the basic settings and the banner ad at the top is still there. But I can  now live with it for now

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7