Re: Fast Wired LAN vs. Painful WiFi Speeds

RalphWL
Aspirant

Fast Wired LAN vs. Painful WiFi Speeds

Folks,

When connected to my wired/LAN I receive download speeds of 220 Mbps (using OOKLA).  Wireless I see speeds of 40 Mbps at 2.4Ghz and 92 Mbps at 5 Ghz.  It was even worse before I disabled  "smart connect" and setup separate SSID's. In addition the speeds were a bit better when I set up "guest" SSID's.  I was getting similar wireless speeds from a Linksys E2500! I was on the phone with Netgear for over 90 minutes.  They changed some setting here and there but it made no difference. They told me to give it 24 hours and see if it would improve!  They were very nice but I think they were tired of talking with me!  Though I was extremely calm!!!  I'm ready to return the router but before I do does anyone of any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.  Ralph L. 

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Have you investigated the theoretical limits that wifi can deliver?

Google will tell you that the stated numbers are fiction.

For example:

How Fast Is a Wi-Fi Wireless Network?

What is the actual real-life speed of wireless networks ? :: SG FAQ

This suggests that you aren't doing too badly? Is there anything you want to do that is a pain at those speeds?

You don't say what the wifi clients are. Maybe they are where the limit lies and that is why you see the same performance as you did with a Linksys E2500.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 7
RalphWL
Aspirant

Thanks for your response.  All of my clients (2 computers, 2 tablets, 2 phones and 4 TV's) are all 802.11N.  So I do understand the AC will have minimal effect on them.  I figured N with a theoretical output of 300Mbps  would rach 150 Mbps But I am confused why the out put is so different when I am on wireless network vs Guest Wireless and so much faster at 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz.  I guess I should just shut down everything but Guest 5Ghz!  We stream a lot of programs and sporting events and sometimes we get the spinning wheel.  Thanks, Ralph

Message 3 of 7
William10a
Master

I just tested my speed on my wireless printer tonight it was 54mbit on the 2.4 ghz  band on a wndr3400v1 wired lan speed tested at 72mbits on cat 6 cables strange pay for 50mbits down and 6 upload speeds and my upload speed about 6 mbit my just good connection.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

What router model to you have?

@RalphWL wrote:

But I am confused why the out put is so different when I am on wireless network vs Guest Wireless . 

Is the guest wireless using the same security (wpa2?) as the main wireless network?  On some older routers the encryption can bog down the router.

@RalphWL wrote:

...so much faster at 5Ghz and [than?] 2.4 Ghz.  

The 5 Ghz band generally has much less interference (though the signal doesn't carry quite as far).  There are also "good neighbor" policies built into wifi that will further limit 2.4 ghz.  You often can't get more than 144 mbit link speeds on 2.4 ghz.

Message 5 of 7
William10a
Master

An wndr3400 600n router but my 5ghz die. also running 12 volt power from that handle 8 amps far from a stock router with its 4 external 6 bd antennas as came internal antennas no longer supported thats how it is at the end of its service life..

Message 6 of 7
Shen9
Aspirant

I have the same issue. I changed the speed to 347 Mbps.

Under Advanced, Setup, Wireless Setup and under 5 GHz lower it from 1733 to 347 Mbps and see if that doesn't help.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E