Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Features blanked out in Genie after update?

Pale_Jewel
Aspirant

Features blanked out in Genie after update?

D7800 (Aus/NZ) Nighthawk X4s AC2600

Chrome Pc mode

Laptop Windows 10

Hi,

I have just managed to get my modem/router to work after a few months of problems.  In any case, it's finally getting a reasonable speed for my street and house - and that's after a friend checked phone lines.  I also updated firmware via ethernet and then have just realised that the setup wizard and most of the features that need an "apply" are greyed out. I can't change any settings on most of the advanced menu.  Is there something that's changed with this firmware update?  I see something on the My Netgear page that says:

License Portal for Managed Switches

ACTIVATE LICENSE KEY FOR REGISTERED PRODUCT

Is this something I need to do now to get the greyed out features to work?

Thanks for any responses.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: Features blanked out in Genie after update?

Ah, it the wizard weaving its magic.

That seems to want to take over all control. It isn't something I would use after the initial setup.

When flashing firmware, there are tricks you can use to see if you can preserve the setting. Here's my strategy:

It isn't always necessary, but if you have problems after a firmware flash, you should reset the thing to factory settings, but you can try to preserve your configuration.

My strategy is to:

• save (backup) settings
  • flash firmware

If that works and you see no problems, great. If not, and something doesn't work,you may have to reset the device to the default settings:

• set to factory settings
  • retrieve settings from backup

If that works and you see no problems, problem fixed! If not:

• set to factory settings.
  • reconfigure everything

If that fails, then I fear that you may have to flash back to earlier firmware.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

@Pale_Jewel wrote:

Is this something I need to do now to get the greyed out features to work?

That's a new one on me.

Which genie are we talking about here? Netgear has a bewildering array of them: the browser interface, a standalone program, Android/iThing apps.

Have you tried accessing the router/modem interface using a browser?

www.routerlogin.net

Which features are we talking about?

By the way, the help stuff for that device is here:

D7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Message 2 of 4
Pale_Jewel
Aspirant

Hi,

It's the browser interface.  I find that has everything on it, the Android App is OK but doesn't have all features and the PC app is **bleep**.

But... I have figured out what's going on. The latest firmware seems to have made it so tha if you choose to have Netgear wizard find all the settings instead of you choosing manually; then it will grey out all the features you could otherwise have been able to access manually, after it sets up the modem.

I ended up taking a note of all the settings and then resetting the modem and using the MANUAL setup. I was then able to access every single thing and hit apply after I typed in the settings myself.

Weird. I know they used to let you access all settings even when the wizard did it for you. 

Now I just have to figure out why it drops out every couple of hours for a minute or two.

🙂

Message 3 of 4

Ah, it the wizard weaving its magic.

That seems to want to take over all control. It isn't something I would use after the initial setup.

When flashing firmware, there are tricks you can use to see if you can preserve the setting. Here's my strategy:

It isn't always necessary, but if you have problems after a firmware flash, you should reset the thing to factory settings, but you can try to preserve your configuration.

My strategy is to:

• save (backup) settings
  • flash firmware

If that works and you see no problems, great. If not, and something doesn't work,you may have to reset the device to the default settings:

• set to factory settings
  • retrieve settings from backup

If that works and you see no problems, problem fixed! If not:

• set to factory settings.
  • reconfigure everything

If that fails, then I fear that you may have to flash back to earlier firmware.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7